Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Doing A One-Eighty

One Hundred and Eighty Days to:

My 50th birthday
Weigh less than 180 lbs.

That about sums it up.

Thought I'd give this blogging thing a try to see if it will help me towards being accountible. I need to figure out something if I'm going to hit 50 and feel fabulous. I'm not at my heaviest weight ever but I am close -- and more importantly -- I am miserable where I am right now.

The first problem is food. Food and I, well, we're having a love affair. I'm sure it started in my childhood (i.e., it must be my mother's fault!) but I refuse to use that as an excuse. Excuses are for the birds. Just because the food is there, I don't have to OVER-eat it do I? Yet, I do, day after day. So, I need to be accountable. Please don't suggest that I eat fat-free American cheese on my hamburger. I cannot stand most of the "fat-free" products out there. They just taste gross to me, plus they have so many chemicals and sugars in them trying to make them taste right, I don't think they're particulary healthy. Since I've already used healthier, lower-fat versions of foods for years, it's definitely intake that I need to work on. My goal will be moderation of good, regular food. I need to cut calories but I don't want any food to be off limits.

The second problem is my wonky thyroid. Five years ago I was diagnosed hypothyroid and have been on medication ever since. My thyroid levels go up and down and just when I think it's regulated, it's not. But again - NO EXCUSES. There are plenty of folks who have thyroid problems who are not overweight and have figured out what needs to be done. I'm going to be one of those, hopefully in the next 180 days.

Now, the good thing is, I don't have any problem exercising, none at all. I have run 4 marathons and walked 1, plus a bunch of other shorter distance races over the last 8 years. Recently, I also took up Thai Boxing. I burn hundreds, no thousands, of calories a week. In fact, exercise is probably the only reason I don't weigh more.

I'll share more about me in other posts. For now, this is the beginning of my one-eighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment