Thursday, September 3, 2009

Weighing In with a Quotable Quote

How much should one weigh themselves, whether trying to lose or maintain their weight?

This topic can cause a flurry of arguments pro and con, but I think it’s like everything else – you have to find what works for you. I know some folks who weigh themselves daily and keep massive spreadsheets on their weight. I admire that but I can’t do it.

For me, weighing myself more than about once a week is NOT GOOD. It’s like it messes with my psyche. It seems no matter if I’ve lost or gained at that extra weigh in, I don’t handle it well. You’d think I’d use either scenario to make a case to behave but I don’t. I end up either treating myself with extra food because of the loss, or thinking why bother if I’ve gained. So, I should have known better than to get on a scale yesterday, right? Because I was up from my last weigh in and promptly used it as an excuse to feed my face with really bad food all day long. Seriously?

Yet, when I stick to one weigh in a week, I do just fine with whatever the results are. I haven’t figured out why I’m like that but I am.

This weigh in debacle got me to thinking about the plan I’m looking for. The plan needs to be a lifestyle for me. I’ve tried every diet with no success really because here I am again trying to lose the same weight. If I put myself on some sort of strict “diet” then how on earth do I handle all the events? For example, here are my next three weekends: trip to Cape Cod, trip to New York City, niece & nephew’s birthday party. All things that could be eating extravaganzas – especially the NYC trip. What I want to do is put it all off until after the birthday party, but you know what? By the time that weekend rolls around there will be 3 more things. I HAVE TO GET A GRIP.

Another thing I keep waiting for is motivation. I keep trying to find that spark, that one thing that will get me going. Then yesterday I came across this quote:

“The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that’s when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.” - John Maxwell

In other words, Fake It Till You Make It. Hmmm, looks like I’ve got some more thinking to do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen! Saw your comment on Jack's blog and popped over to say hello. I am looking forward to following you and seeing your progress. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog helen! I'm a once a week weigher. My husband weighs twice a day though and it makes me laugh. He's always saying "how can I gain 3 pounds in one day" I try to explain but it doesn't keep him off the scale.

    ReplyDelete