Monday, October 12, 2009

Discovering New Things

*Before I get into the actual product review, I want to make it clear that I have not been asked to review or endorse any of the products I mention in this blog.


As I've shared before, I am not one to like a "diet" in the usual sense of the word. I have been working hard at eating everything/anything in moderation. This means if the food fits in the calorie budget and if I'm managing to balance my food intake over several food groups, that's a good thing. This also means I don't eat a whole lot of fat free stuff. I just don't like the taste of it and the manufacturers tend to add more sugar or some type of chemical to make up for the fact that they've taken the fat out. I do like to try to find lower fat and better versions of food I would eat anyway. For example, I really enjoy the light Newman's Own salad dressings. They are made with whole, natural ingredients, i.e. they aren't full of high fructose corn syrup. They are lower fat, lower calorie and taste delicious. Once in a while I find something new that just makes me happy as is the case for the product I'm sharing today.

Every Wednesday my husband picks up our 6 year old nephew after school, takes him to karate, and then hangs out with him for a bit, which usually includes some sort of meal. They enjoy their "boy" time together very much. Over the summer, they rarely would come back to the house because there were beaches to swim at and playgrounds to conquer. Now that Fall has set in, it is too cold for the beach or the playground and it's getting dark early so they usually end up here, which means hubby is also cooking something here. Last week he decided he wanted to make tacos. Since I had the time, I volunteered to go to the grocery store and pick up the ingredients. Over the years, I have already done some things to try to make tacos healthier, for example, using very lean ground beef (I would use ground turkey but dh says no!), Cabot 50% light cheddar, light sour cream, etc. I really prefer the crunchy taco shells but they are not as healthy as a whole wheat soft wrap, so I usually reserve those shells as a treat. You can then imagine my delight and surprise when I found this at the grocery store:


Even before I really knew a lot about food and nutrition and whole grains, I'd wondered why we'd stripped the nutrition out of our foods. It's almost sad that I was excited to find a food that had been returned to it's natural state! If you look closely at the picture you can see that I leaned one of the shells up against the box and you'll notice that these whole grain taco shells do not look any different from other taco shells. Their nutritional value is fabulous compared to "regular" shells. For two shells, yes two!

110 calories, 6 grams fat, 16 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fiber, 2 grams of protein.

Did you know "regular" shells only have 1 gram of fiber?

The ultimate test for me is always what my hubby says because he can be sort of picky about whole grain foods. I didn't mention anything to him about the shells, I just left them on the counter and went about my business. The boys ate and then dh took my nephew home. When he got back, this was our conversation, "Where did you get those shells?" "Grocery store, they're Ortega." "Those were the best taco shells I've ever tasted." "Really? How about that, because they're whole grain." "Okay by me if that's all you buy from now on." HA! VICTORY!!

Plus he said my nephew told his Mom that she needed to call Auntie Helen and find out about her special taco shells because they were the best. Not sure if that was a genuine food endorsement or because, as we later found out, he'd never had a hard taco shell and he loved it.

So, I heartily recommend these Ortega Whole Grain Taco Shells. Trust me, you'll get more nutrition and you'll never miss the old style shells.





12 comments:

  1. I love new product finds and I love your story! Helps keep a healthy eating plan fresh and new! For me right now, my "new" product is tomatoes and apples that I dry myself. Adventures in healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to add that to my list! I hope I can find them!
    Isn't it funny that things have the nutrition stripped from them! I buy flour that says "unbleached" why should it even have to say that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like they're worth trying :) I'll give them a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reviewing these! Hopefully my grocery store will carry them soon, as I love tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Thanks Helen! I love taco night! Luckily my husband likes ground turkey in them. I haven't seen them yet so let the searching begin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two for 110 calories? I am all over that!!! Thanks for the review - I'm going to look for these in my grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I havent seen that yet. I do love tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Helen. I LOVE LOVE LOVE tacos and have missed them. I will definately give these a try! My DH won't mind the ground turkey. And I could eat two! Yum!

    I see a taco night in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Helen! I am going to try these for our next taco night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very picky about my grains, but this looks like it might be worth my checking out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love taco's and will see if I can find them here. Sometimes it takes awhile for things to hit Canada - if at all.

    ReplyDelete