Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Running Free

I had a great run this morning at 4:45.  I'm so glad I got up to run because today I feel a calmness that I haven't felt in weeks.  Almost like I can feel my stress lowering.  I hope this feeling lasts because it really does help me in all other areas of my life.

I love running in the morning.  In the spring, I hear birds chirping and get to see the sunrise.  In the summer, the sun is up quickly and I smell honeysuckle and roses as I trot along in what is likely the coolest time of day.  In the fall, I get to see this:



I didn't actually see that this morning because it was dark but I did stop and take that picture on Sunday when I ran.  Oh, and I also got a reminder that the next season - my least favorite - is right around the corner:



I don't like winter at all but I have always loved holly (my Christmas china has a holly pattern on it) so it tickled me to see that bush along the side of the road.  I think one of the reasons why I don't like winter so much, besides driving in the snow and bad weather, is that the weather also drives me inside onto a treadmill so that even when it is the weekend and light outside I don't get to see anything pretty on my runs. But, I have to admit, there's nothing like a cold starry morning where you're running along seeing your breath and by the time you get back you have popsicles on your hat!

People ask me constantly how I can get up so early to get my run in and it's hard for me to put in words.  I say, "no traffic, calm, peaceful" but that doesn't really adequately explain it.  Maybe the pictures help.

5 comments:

  1. First thing in the morning is the absolute best time of the day.

    I love the pictures. We don't get much color here due to how fast it turns cold... So I really enjoy seeing other's pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful pictures. I especially love the first one.
    I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better today!! I hope the calm stays with you the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a before the crack of dawn gal myself. I think it's intoxicating to be outside before the sun comes up. I love fall, but am not crazy about winter. It's so labor intensive! Thanks for the positive words on my blog today...I know we'll have an awesome time, and I feel better for just having verbalized some of my thoughts. Blogging works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you getting out there and running early!I'm out there early too and I love it. It is so calm and peaceful like you said.
    No traffic, so nice!

    I hope you are feeling better!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not like getting up early, but I love exercising first thing in the morning. Like you, I am not as fond of it this time of year as I am in the summer. I guess I don't mind the fall, but the cold mornings are another story. My favorite time of year is when I can watch the sun rise while walking.

    ReplyDelete