Friday, October 9, 2009

Some News and a Hot 100 Update

I have a fabulous doctor who schedules plenty of time with each patient in order to look at the patient as a whole. The last time I was at the doctor I was, once again, complaining about my slow weight loss and seeming to bounce around the same few pounds. (Since I’m hypothyroid, I have to have my blood checked every 3 months.) As we chatted, among other questions, she asked me about my stress levels, how I was eating, how much alcohol was I drinking. We talked a bit about the death of my 39 year old brother-in-law this past spring and I told her that I haven’t really felt like I’ve rested properly, nor have I had one day where I felt "normal" since he died. At this visit, she had to adjust my thyroid med so she wanted me to have blood work done and come back in a month. Off I went with my form in hand and a week ago I did the blood work. My follow-up was this past Monday.

As soon as she came in she asked me about my stress level. I began to fill her in on what has been going on with my boss and just life in general lately. She looked at me and said, “Well that explains why your Cortisol levels are off the chart.” To keep this story short, Cortisol production can increase with stress and sleep deprivation. It also affects many things in your body, including the ability to lose weight. As my cholesterol was a bit high too (again connected to Cortisol) she was fairly concerned. Add in my hypothyroidism and it’s like I’m fighting a losing battle with my weight medically.

She has now requested that I DEFINITELY limit the alcohol to a couple of drinks a week. She also wants me to stop eating sweets for a while and she actually wrote out a prescription that I am to take a day off from work and go to a spa and get a massage

Can I share that the only one of these things I’ve done is to limit the alcohol. I am going to schedule the massage and I know I’ll stop the sweets eventually; I just need to gear up for it mentally more than anything. Sometimes I just feel tired of it all, you know?

In other news, just like my weight, I maintained in the Hot 100 at only 80 degrees:

1. Keep the wine down to 2 glasses on no more than 2 days. SUCCESS! I’m really happy about this as it’s probably my hardest challenge.

2. Track my food - the good, the bad, the ugly – and I added last week, keep it under 1500 calories for 6 out of 7 days per week. FAIL. So, I’m really, really good at tracking all my food but didn’t do so well staying under the 1500 calories for 6 of the 7 days. I’ve got to get with it for sure.

3. Burn at least 2500 calories a week through exercise. SUCCESS! Just barely -- total calorie burn for the week: 2570

.4. Advance to my next belt in Thai Boxing, which means I have to have perfect attendance and learn the material! SUCCESS! Got my 2 classes in so that’s moving along.

5. Use the weekend to plan and precook some of our weekly meals so that we are eating. SUCCESS! Another good weekend getting the cooking and planning done so that we had plenty of nutritious meals available.

This means I still haven’t managed 5 out of 5. I’m pretty sure once I do that, in addition to the other things the doc has asked me to do, I might (I hope to) see some scale victory too.

Coming next week… an uncompensated review of a new food I just discovered!

7 comments:

  1. It looks like more of an 85% or 90% to me. You did track the food, so you get partial credit. It sounds like you have a great doctor. Now, just listen to her! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the exercise and tracking! It's *so* hard to track, especially when you know you've gone over already for the day- I have a bit of a problem with that.
    I'm sorry to hear abour your BIL's death. If you haven't slept well since, you may want to find a way of dealing with your feelings about it so you can move on and get some rest. I realize you'll never really be "over it" but dealing with your feelings head-on might help you feel better overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so true about stress and it affecting your way of life - not just the diet aspect but sleep as well. You know when I read your posts, we really are pretty much the same type of person... It's going to be nice to "learn" together through this... mind you... I don't and never will be able to do any thai boxing... can't kick cause of my hip, but my sister is a black belt in tae kwon do and I live it through her :) .... Can't wait to hear about the new food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, 4 out of 5 is pretty darn good! Thanks for the encouragement on my blog the other day - sorry that we seem to be in the same boat at this time, but hopefully the weight will start dropping for both of us soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice that you have a Dr that cares about the patient!
    Tracking food is a hard one for me too. I've considered tweeting my food then I can be sure to get everything on my log but them my tweets would be super boring! (like they're not already! lol!)
    It sounds like you will be back to losing soon!
    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thinking of switching to my husband's doctor as he sounds a lot like yours. Anyway, I did not know that sleep deprivation also affected cortisol levels. I have suffered from insomnia since I was a kid.

    Let's see, stress, insomnia-- no wonder my gut is so huge!

    You seem to be doing great on the challenges! And I admire you for staying on task when you're not getting the results you want. A lesser person would have given up and locked themselves in the closet with a pint of ice cream, but not you!

    You have the tenacity of a pit bull on steroids. I truly admire you! (No shit, I've rarely said that to anyone.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen, I think you are doing great. I cant wait to hear the food review.

    ReplyDelete