Monday, October 5, 2009

Stress is My Middle Name

Bad weekend.

Hubby came home from work on Saturday having pulled his back. He could barely move. that effectively cancelled all our weekend plans. Unfortunately I had such a horrible work week last week that I was really looking forward to our outing and probably put too much stock in being able to do it.

My boss who has been in the hospital off and on since January ended up in critical care unit over the weekend.

Stress equals bad, worse, piss poor eating for me. I'm just ticked at myself.

My issue with this is that when I make poor eating choices my mind immediately wanders to "I should just fast for 24 hours to make up for it" or "I should go for yet another walk or run" which, of course, are no solution at all.

What I should do is s-t-o-p putting food in my mouth, especially when I'm not even hungry.

I am trying very hard to concentrate on this thought today: "Is the choice I'm about to make putting me closer to my goal?"

Wish me luck.

12 comments:

  1. That's a very good question to ask yourself. Powerful reminder and grounding. It's so weird about stress and eating. Food doesn't take our stress away, but it gives us comfort--instant gratification. Fast and easy to obtain. Stress stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very good question to ask yourself. I think I may try that one.
    Hope it gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny I was thinking of making today a smoothie only day but you're right, I should stop cramming it in in the first place! Good luck this week my dear! Sorry to hear about bummer weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always find that I feel worse after an episode of over-eating. The stress is still there but now it's coupled with remorse. Believe me, it still happens but I know it at the time and I'm working hard to handle the stress some other way. I use your question a lot ... will this get me closer to size 10 in the petite department?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you had a stressful weekend. That is a lot of stress piled on one person, for sure. I love your question - it's a really good way to think about this - gets you/me/all of us focused on what we are trying to achieve. And sometimes if we can just stop and think for even a minute, we can avoid unhealthful choices. I'm crossing my fingers that this week is better for you and those you care about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! This all sounds very tough. I don't know about you but I try mind tricks like brushing my teeth or even putting tape on the fridge ;) Anything to put up that little "closed" sign on my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard to overcome stress eating. I have problems with it too. UGH!

    I hope your hubby's back is better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Helen - I wish you the BEST of luck and I too am trying to learn the simple lesson of not putting food in my mouth. Wish it was as easy as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great question we should ask ourselves !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen! I LOVE your blog and the fact that you take the time to leave comments for others. You rock! Please stop by my blog and pick up your "over the top" award!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My turn to pass it forward Helen (looks like Lori-Ann feels the same way) - I've listed you in my list of bloggers to receive the "Your Blog is Over the Top" award. Stop by to grab it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helen, I wish you luck with this. It is so hard to keep our focus when stress is heavy in our lives, but if we can make it through the stressful time, it sure is worth it.

    ReplyDelete