Monday, November 9, 2009

Back to Reality?

My boss/friend's funeral was last Thursday so I took Friday off from work to clear my head.  Honestly, I just couldn't face coming into our shared office - too empty.  I'm glad I did that because today I walked through the door and it has been a nutty zoo ever since.  I suspect it will be this way for some time to come as we try to sort through practical and emotional issues around here.

In the meantime I had the joy of having my 3 year old niece and 6 year old nephew spend the weekend with me.  My sister had the opportunity to go to away for a girls weekend (her husband is one who died in April) and, of course she doesn't trust them with just anyone.  Can I just share that it took both me and my husband to take care of them? While it is like riding a bike - get going and you do remember "how" - I had completely forgotten how much care and attention two little kids need.  Plus my husband works on Sundays so I had them all by myself yesterday. As I told my sister when I dropped them back home yesterday afternoon, it was a complete miracle that I was actually dressed and had a little makeup on!  They were the perfect distraction for me though and there's nothing like a little voice saying "I wuv you" to help heal a sore heart.

So now I'm trying to get back to reality and pay attention to caring for myself again.  I managed to get out for a very slow run this morning but even just that act has made me want to care enough to eat well today.  It's a start - or a restart - whatever.

I'm also looking forward to getting back into the community of my blogging friends and catching up with you all.

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet distraction! Little kids really do come in handy!

    I'm glad to see you getting back in the routine!

    Take as much time as you need!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky your sister is to have you to care for her children. She surely enjoyed herself with no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Helen, sure is nothing like having two small children around to get your mind off things. I love my Grandson, who is 6, and I can totally relate to how busy you can find yourself with them around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((Helen))) Hugs to you and glad you had some little distractions. That is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bet those distractions were awfully cute...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for what has happened, I just caught up on your blog. Hang in there. I expect it will take some time until you feel back to normal again. Be good to yourself. Sending you good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you the best at getting things back to normal. Perhaps a weekend with the kiddos helped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great distraction! I love little kids. Best wishes finding a new normal.

    ReplyDelete