Thursday, November 12, 2009

Changes Make the World Go Round

This is my Hot 100 update for the past week.  I should be all caught up now.

Goals:

1. Keep the wine down to 2 glasses on no more than 2 days.
2. Track my food intake and keep it under 1500 calories for 6 out of 7 days per week.
3. Burn at least 2500 calories a week through exercise.
4. Advance to my next belt in Thai Boxing, which means I have to have perfect attendance and learn the material.
5. Use the weekend to plan and precook some of our weekly meals so that we are eating.



Big Fat Fail on #1-3.  Though I did manage to exercise several times in the midst of everything at the end of the week, I didn't meet my calorie burn which requires me not to miss any exercise.   I had my little niece and nephew for the whole weekend, which not only knocked out all exercise but reinforced in me a huge amount of respect for young parents who figure out how to do it all.  Since my "baby" is 30 years old, I'm totally out of practice with that :-)


Pass on #4-5.  In fact, we are still eating leftovers - which is great but honestly with the two of us sometimes I do get sick of them and want a new taste.  


So, as I mentioned yesterday I've been looking at these goals and how I've been doing and what I see is that I need to make some changes and get a bit more specific for the last 50 days.  


I should have known better than to put my calorie burn in there... though the last couple of weeks have been challenging, I've never really had a problem getting some sort of exercise in.  In fact I've told friends many, many times that I am completely capable of outeating my exercise!  So really, it's not the exercise, it's the food for me.


The weekend planning, etc. helps but honestly I find that no problem this time of year.  The weather is usually yucky so I really enjoy being home and cooking - it's actually sort of a hobby and relaxing for me.


Since my personality responds to specific challenges and goals, I decided to amend my Hot 100 (er, Hot 50?) as follows:


Goals:

1. Keep the alcohol intake to a minimum.*
2. Track my food intake and keep it at 1500 calories or less as a weekly average.**
3.  Lose 6 pounds in the remaining weeks of 2009.***
4. Advance to my next belt in Thai Boxing, which means I have to have perfect attendance and learn the material.****




* I made this change because sometimes I have 3 glasses or wine or a martini over the course of a week but it might happen on 3 different days.  Other weeks I have nothing.  If I concentrate, I will get more of the nothing weeks.


** I want to average the intake over 7 days rather than worrying if I have 1600 two days in a row.  I've done this in the past and it works if I do it right - but I have to track!


*** Ah, a specific weight loss goal.  I know it doesn't sound like much but with my thyroid issues, this will be a true challenge for me.


**** I left this one because I am a morning exerciser.  My Thai classes are at night.  I can't even begin to tell you how many times I negotiate with myself to get to class.  Especially these days when things are fairly stressful at work all day.


There it is in black and white.  I look forward to giving you a good report next week.







6 comments:

  1. Good job on working towards your goals, Helen. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like some honest, good, self-reflection going on. The adjustments seems reasonable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to a good report from you next week too! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't hurt to adjust your goals, looking forward to haring that good report!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will have a great week! I think it's always a good idea to reassess where you are and whether or not that needs to change for the future.

    It's what life in maintenance is all about too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's okay to "adjust" your goals. Just means you're fine tuning the metrics you've set for yourself.

    I think its great that you put them down like that---I hesitate to list my own out of fear (or embrassment) as I'm not good with lists...

    Can't wait to read how well you do in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete