Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hack, Hack, Cough, Cough - Oy!

Hack, hack, cough, cough.  That pretty much describes my life for the last couple of days.  Hubby is in an uproar and thinks I should go to the doc. I don't feel like it because I think she'll just say it's a virus and hang in there.  Maybe I should just call and see what she has to say instead of guessing. 

One of the things I hate about not feeling well is that I find it hard to make better choices about what I'm consuming.  For example, I don't want soup and salad, I want soup and sandwich with a side of potato chips.  And not low fat turkey on whole grain either - I want like grilled cheese.  I didn't give in to that but it's what I wanted.

The good thing about not feeling well is that I have no desire for adult type beverages.  Which means the wine thing hasn't been in play at all.

I've been noticing a theme in blogland these days around making better choices and moving away from the "old" person into a new dimension.  Maybe because most of us have food bonanzas coming up over the next few days.  Why is it so hard to say no to food?  Sometimes I actually get aggravated because it's JUST FOOD - fuel to run the engine that is my body.  Why do I ever, EVER let it be more than that to me?

Some of you expressed surprise at my mention that I had run 27 miles last week.  What you don't know is that in the past that would have been a below average week for me.  I have completed four marathons (26.2 miles for those who don't know) and many other races.  In the last year, I cut down on my running because of two things:  I needed a break, especially from racing and because of my weight.  The heavier a runner is, the slower they run and I have to admit, with every step I can feel the extra poundage.  Lately, I have been itching to get back into a regular running routine and maybe to sign up for a race again by next spring.  That means I have to get deadly serious.

Recently I read an article about hypothyroidism and weight loss that stated even once the thyroid is balanced with meds, if one goes on a fairly strict diet, they probably will not lose at the rate they have in the past and should expect that maybe their weight will never return to where it used to be.  That's pretty discouraging but the alternative is that I stay fat and unhappy because I can't run.

So, I keep asking, do I choose the food or the size 8 jeans?  I run fast when I wear size 8 jeans.

7 comments:

  1. I'm coughing right behind you! And my DDH suggested a visit to the Dr too!
    I am still impressed with a 27 mile week! And now with you history! wow!
    I can see how you would be itching to get back to regular training.
    I hope you prove the article on hypothyroidism wrong with your own weight loss! and get back on your training schedule!

    And get well!
    Should we go to the Dr today?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you on the soup and grilled cheese... when I'm sick it's all I want. And unlike you (which I am very proud of by the way), I did give in :(
    Wow on all the running - I'd love to just complete a 5k soon, then try a 10K, and so on. If I can't run, then I want to walk it? Is there such thing? Probably...
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire the running and I like the end of your post... "I run fast when I wear a size 8 jeans". Geez. I haven't seen a size 8 jeans in too many years. I have my first 5k this weekend. I'll probably walk half of it but that counts too, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, stopping in for the first time. 4 marathons! Now that is impressive. I don't think I could run more than a few blocks before my knees would start to hurt-but I'm working on it. Best of luck getting into your running habit-and those size 8's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you are sick......... I hope you're better soon.

    You are my inspiration when it comes to running again. Since I started this journey I've been saying I want to run again one day. Recently, I've actually been able to start seeing it and believing it.

    The bloggers like you who run have kept it alive for me as something to strive for and not give up. Thank you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hesitate believing you can never get back to a previous weight. Hard? Perhaps, maybe even likely, but impossible? No way.

    I hope you start feeling better soon. It is really, really hard to stick with the program while you are under the weather. Congratulations for doing as well as you have so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. btw, steves is my google account. I try not to post with it, but I slipped up. :-)

    ReplyDelete