Friday, November 20, 2009

Random Friday Musings

I'm glad it's Friday and the last day of the work week.  It has been hard for me to be at work - I miss my boss every minute of every day. 

I didn't have any type of adult beverage yesterday.  So glad about that.

When I first started Thai Boxing, I tried several times to run in the morning then go to boxing that evening.  Around 12 hours between the workouts (with a workday in between) wasn't enough because my legs were so tired from the morning run, it made my form really bad at boxing - not good because that's how injuries happen.Yesterday, because I had overslept on Wednesday, I got up and ran for 45 minutes.  Then last night I went to a Thai Boxing class.  I can't believe how much my leg fitness and stamina has improved in 6 months!  I had no problems at all both enduring the class and maintaining good form.  I am a very happy camper about that.  This gives me a whole bunch more flexibility in my exercise schedule.

My company has its holiday party in January and our karate dojo has it's annual party in February - both are fairly dressy affairs so it's fun to get a new dress for the events.  I generally wear the same outfit to both since it's two different groups of people.  Hubby sees me in the same thing twice but I honestly think he feels that he's really getting his money's worth (even though it's my money that pays!).  I got to thinking about these events last night and decided to help my motivation levels by ordering a beautiful dress I really wanted - in the size I should be by then if I stay on plan.  Way too often I punish myself by not allowing myself to have nice things - thinking that I don't "deserve" them until I get thinner, get my act together.  This time I'm not doing that and I know seeing it hanging in my closet will keep me motivated!  Here's a picture of the dress and shoes I ordered:




 I was going to cut off the model's head because believe me, I do not look anything like her but I hope that by January 24th I will do the dress justice.

Another thing I keep thinking about is how hard it can be to stay movtivated through the holidays. I thought I had nothing in December and in the last few days we've filled up every weekend right up to Christmas with one event after another.  It's very easy to get into the mindset of starting or restarting tomorrow due to all the holidays and functions. Unless I get all "diety" and take specially prepared food everywhere, I'm faced with a myriad of cheese platters and buttery hors d'oeuvres.  But I don't really want to and sometimes just can't take special foods. Which is why I am trying diligently to control the excess, to work within the parameters in front of me. For me sometimes that means using sheer willpower not to eat everything just because it's on the tray in front of me or because it looks yummy.

Ultimately, I have to choose:  do I want the food or the Size 8 jeans?

9 comments:

  1. OMG, I am DROOLING over that dress. This is exactly the type of dress that I LOVE wearing when my weight is down. One of the benefits of being 6'3" is that you make a good display rack for clothes if you keep in shape. LOL

    Hubby's eyeballs may pop out of his head when he first gets a glimpse of you in that dress. Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress! Small jeans or Cheese Doodles? No brainer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubba hubba that dress is dynamtie Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go on the stamina and flexibility. It's cool when we challenge our bodies and you start to notice a difference.

    And wow on the dress, it's gorgeous.
    And I'm with ya on the size 8 jeans - it's a choice I'm going to have to make too through the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do deserve some nice things along the way. A reward for those mini-goals that help you get to the big goal.
    The holidays can be challenging if we let them. Determination can help us get through them! And that dress!
    I love that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, this is one of those things we all have to figure out for ourselves. For me, I just cannot eat some of the temptations. If I do, I know I cannot control myself. For those who can, I admire them, and I wish I were in their shoes.

    You are doing great Helen. Keep it up. I can't wait to hear about you wearing this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Helen, Thanks for you kind note in my blog! For years I not bought decent clothes because I "won't be fitting in them for long." When I get to goal, I hope to get over that! I'm totally with you on the holidays being supremely difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow, what a sexy dress! How exciting that you will (and I KNOW you will) be wearing it soon!

    And what a cool NSV to discover that your stamina has increased - all of that exercise really does pay off, in more ways than we sometimes realize!

    ReplyDelete