Monday, December 14, 2009

Don't Stop Believin'

I had yet another busy, busy weekend. At least we finished the Christmas shopping for the little nieces/nephews that we give to. Now all that needs to be done is the wrapping. I swear, I don’t know where the hours go but before I knew it, I blinked and it was Sunday evening at 10:00 and I needed to go to bed to rest up for this work week.

I have been fighting a terrible mindset most of the weekend: “I’m tired of trying so hard and not getting results so I’m going to quit now and start again in January.”

I hate when my mental state gets like that and usually it is stress induced, which it was again this time. I haven’t heard a peep from anyone since the Thanksgiving family drama – until an email from the brother I grew up with arrived on Friday. He wants to get together and talk, so he’s coming to my house this Sunday. He lives 3 hours away from me and must really have something to say because he has refused to call me and insisted on meeting in person. When my hubby and I were discussing the whole situation again this weekend, I ended up feeling agitated and anxious. Which I think has led to me feeling like I just want to lay down and pull the covers over my head and start over in January.

Some of this might be from feeling Seasonally Overwhelmed too... so much to do, not enough time.

Of course the blog world is conspiring to keep me on track whichmeans that Steve’s Motivation for Monday blog is pretty much all about where my head has been so now I feel silly for wanting to quit.  Even though the feeling hasn’t quite left me yet. I think it’s going to be a matter of sheer willpower for a day or two and then I’ll be fine again.  I just have to keep on believing that if I continue to try I will get where I want to be eventually.

I decided to take Friday off from work so that I could have a full extra day at home to finish things up, get some baking done, and get things together so that next week all I have to do is concentrate on making it through the work week.

Can you believe Christmas is only 11 days away?

How about the rest of you -- how are you hanging in during this "Most Wonderful Time of the Year?"

4 comments:

  1. I'm hanging in there too. I agree that part of it is the overwhelming feelings that come with this time of year.
    Hang on! You'll get through it! And you'll be so glad you stuck it out in January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hanging in there but I found myself thinking as well this weekend that as soon as January is here I am going to get serious about this lifestyle thing... how dumb is that???? Lifestyle does not mean WAITING until January... Lifestyle means doing what is right - TODAY. I am struggling with that.

    Do NOT stress about your conversation with your brother. What happens, happens.... but you are strong and chances are really good that it will be much better than you are imagining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you have to wait until Sunday to hear what your brother has to say...that would drive me crazy with the anticipation. Hope things go well with him.

    I know what you mean about being seasonally overwhelmed - I finally got my Christmas cards out this afternoon and feel like I've lost 10 pounds (off of my shoulders, ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, I know it is hard to believe when you hear it from someone else, but I know what you are going through, at least with regards to the diet. I think we all go through those spells where we just want to quit, but as you indicated, if you stick with it just a few more days, this feeling will likely pass. You certainly won't benefit yourself at all if you drop it all until January. Just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete