Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Just Sittin' and Thinkin'

Morning bloggy peeps!  Here it is Tuesday already and only 10 more days until Christmas.  I feel like these ending days of 2009 are flying by!

Yesterday I wrote about overwhelming feelings - some of which are being caused by the season and the rest of which are being caused by the family.  Thanks for your encouragement on both fronts.

I had some down time during the late afternoon which gave me a chance to think and see if I could come up with a plan to reduce the stress.  Shelley mentioned that she just got her Christmas cards out and for some reason, right when I read her response I finalized my decision NOT to send out cards this year.  I have been putting that off because I wasn't feeling like doing it.  So, I will go ahead and buy personal cards for my husband and daughter but all those other cards - not this year.  Just making that decision helped to lighten the load.  Another thing that has been eating at me is the time being taken up by the karate classes I have been trying in December.  While I am enjoying the classes, they are held later in the evening - 6:45 or 7:00.  By the time I take the class, get home, showered and have a bite to eat, it has been almost 9:00.  That's not super late except I get up at 4:15 so I can run.  Makes for a really long day.  Yesterday as the day progressed I found myself feeling resentful that I "had to" go to karate. When I got home I talked it over with hubby and he pointed out to me that I was just trying it out and that if it wasn't working for me, just drop it.  So I made the decision last night to not sign up for the karate but to stick with the Thai Boxing.  Those classes are at 5:30 which gets me home and showered and fed by 7:30.

I can't believe how much better I feel today.  Two simple decisions that lifted a huge load off.  Why is it that we allow things to get complicated and overwhelm us? I'm sure some of it is from my upbringing ("if you start something you finish it NO MATTER WHAT") and my perfectionist streak (that I have to watch so that it doesn't take over my life). So silly!

Believe it or not, all of this got me thinking about my approach to weight loss.  I haven't fully decided what yet, but I know I'm going to be making some changes in the New Year. I think changing things up can be a good thing. Stay tuned.  In the meantime, for the rest of 2009 I am going to try to reach as many of my Hot 100 goals as possible.  The Hot 100 has been a great exercise for me because I'm not going to ace it so I have to let go of that perfectionism and put all I can into the last 16 days of 2009.

Are any of you rethinking your goals or plans in regards to your weight loss/maintenance?

4 comments:

  1. That's so funny about the Christmas cards because one year, even though I had already bought them, I decided not to send them out and like you felt a huge sense of relief. Sometimes things that are supposed to give us pleasure instead become a burden, and it's great that you recognized that. Ditto on the Karate...glad you are feeling so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff and I are giving ourselves a break this year too. I am not mailing Chrisitmas cards to anyone except my Mother in law and a family on the reservation that I am close to. We already warned our kids-- who are all grown-- that they
    are getting money for Christmas and there won't be a lot of it. I cannot shop and wrap this year. I simply can't.

    Another thing is, I am famous for my cookies. I am an excellent baker and generally make (literally) about 20 different kids of cookies that everyone gets a tray of-- and Jeff would bring a tray to work. But I decided not to do this. It is expensive and time-consuming, and in order to do it right I would have to make it a priority, and I simply can't.

    My health and fitness goals have to remain my priority. It is so hard to put myself first and to tell everyone that what I want most for Christmas is for everyone to support what I must do for myself. I KNOW that you undertstand.

    This is the first time since my kids were small that I am not baking cookies and going completely nuts with the shopping and the decorating. I LOVE Christmas and how it beings out the generosity and good will in people, and how we are reminded to believe in magic by seeing it through the eyes of Children.

    But I have to make new traditions and create new kinds of magic that support what I need to do. I wish I didn;t feel guilty about this-- something else for me to work through.

    I support and encourage any decisions that you must make to support what you need to do to be the best that you can be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm skipping the cards this year too. My kiddo made some ornaments for my close family, I sent those out and thats it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours was a huge reminder: 10 days until Christmas. Yikes! I send out the dreaded, ridiculed Christmas letter. I don't however fill it with bragging and surgery details. My recipients tell me they enjoy my letters. I better get on it!

    Isn't it amazing how letting go of something that causes you stress like the karate class can be a big burden off your shoulders. In six months you may feel completely different and want to go back. It's great that you don't feel you always have to finish what you start.

    ReplyDelete