Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Treadmill Tuesday

I got up at 4:15 this morning and was out the door at 4:45 for my run. (Gotta have my coffee first!) Unfortunately due to the early winter blizzard we got over the weekend I had to hit the treadmill.  My little city that I live in actually had to keep schools closed yesterday because there was so much plowing and sidewalk clearing to do that it wasn't safe for the kids - no place to wait for the bus.  Plus a lot of the kids walk and they would have had to walk in the street.

So, out the door to the treadmill?  Yes, because my treadmill is in my unheated garage!  It was 16 degrees with the windchill fluctuating between 2 and 9 this morning. In the garage it was a balmy 28 degrees - ha!  Actually, it's not so bad because though it's cold, there is no wind.  Plus I put a little space heater right next to the TM and keep my legs warm. 

Anyway, got my run done and as usual was glad I did once it was all over.

My daughter was supposed to arrive today but emailed us yesterday to say that she wouldn't be coming until Wednesday.  She lives in the DC area which also got 18 inches of snow and since they closed all the federal offices yesterday, she couldn't finish up the work she needed to do before leaving.  It's too bad that her arrival is delayed because she'll still have to leave on Sunday.

I don't know about the rest of you but my schedule feels off this week.  So much so that this morning I looked through some old running logs and discovered this phenomena hits me every year right around this time.  Things start to go screwball and it seems to take until the New Year to get back into a routine.  I keep having to remind myself that it's OK!

If you are struggling a little bit too and missed Jack Sh*t's Post May Your Days Be Merry and Bright, go read it right now.  Or, if you've read it once, re-read it.  It will remind you that we are human after all and life happens.

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you have a treadmill in the garage - love that you have a backup for running when the weather is bad...now that is dedication, lady!

    Hope your daughter arrives safely on Wednesday. It looks like that weather system has really messed up a lot of people's plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how much it helps to get out of the wind? 28 degrees can become entirely bearable then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great dedication and determination for running so early in the morning. Don't be discouraged by the holiday chaos just keep goals in mind and it'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cool having it in the Garage. I have a fan beside mine because I get so hot. LIke Steve said, as long as you are out of the wind, it seems so much warmer.

    And yes, I'm with you on the schedule mixup. Late nights, busy days, getting ready for the big day on Friday - messes with my workout schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my hero!! Early AND freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you go girl! Love that you were able to get out of bed that early. Me? I didn't get out of bed until 10:15! :D

    Hope your daughter arrives safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You too are my hero!! 16 degrees is cold in deed. I won't complain anymore--if you can run in the cold, me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrrr...thats cold! Great job getting out there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I envy you the treadmill in your house (OK, the garage) and I admire you for getting up so early to use it. You deserve every ounce you lose!

    ReplyDelete