Monday, December 7, 2009

What A Weekend!

Boy was I busy -but in a good way! 

Saturday morning I got up early to get in a run because our whole day was going to be full of activity.  By 8:30 we were cleaned up and out the door.  First stop, one of our favorite breakfast places for a big breakfast because we weren't going to have time to eat until much later in the day.  Left there and went off to get our Christmas tree.  Unfortunately it was raining and we go to a tree farm but we had come prepared with boots for the mud and umbrellas for our head.  We've been going to this tree farm for 24 years and have experienced every sort of weather but this was the first time ever we've gone in the rain.  Here's a picture of my living room with the decorated tree.  The centerpiece on the coffee table was made from the extra branches we cut off the bottom.



I actually took that picture yesterday because all we managed on Saturday was to get the tree up and hubby got the lights on. 

Saturday night our karate dojo had their Black Belt Spectacular so we went to that then off to our first party of the season.  The organizers sent out the invitation and asked anyone attending to "pay" their way in with a donation.  They chose four different local charities:  the homeless shelter, the food bank, the battered women's center, and a thrift shop that specifically receives donations of household goods that they turn around and give to homeless who are trying to get back on their feet. I had so much fun picking out the items we donated:  a large bag of brand new hats, scarves and gloves, a large bag full of cosmetic items (shampoo, toothpaste, q-tips, etc.) and a huge box of food.  We loved the idea of this party and to top it off, the party was so much fun!

Sunday, I finished decorating the tree, cleaned the house, cooked several meals for the upcoming week and wrapped all the gifts I've bought so far.  That literally took me 12 hours.  Honestly I feel like I needed to go to work this morning to get some rest!

All in all it was a productive weekend and I also managed to get in my exercise and keep my eating fairly controlled.  Party choices aren't always easy but as I've said before, I try to do the best I can in the situation I'm in.

Now, I need to go off and check out blogs as I've been totally unplugged since Friday!

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tree! Looks like it was worth all the effort. Plus, I'm sure you burned plenty of extra calories with all that effort. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first year my husband and I were married, our two kids were 8 and 10, and we thought it would be fun to cut down our first family tree together - until we got there and they started at $60!

    Your tree looks beautiful!! I hope to get ours up during the week - and to bring out my snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! I need a nap now!
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful, Christmassy living room. I needed the lift I got from that today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen! I have an award for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tree looks beautiful..And I love the color of the walls. Our bedroom is that color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tree is gorgeous and I'll bet the room smells so good! Is that noble fir?

    What a great idea for the party...y'all were very generous with your donation. I'm sure it will be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parties are tough, but doing the best you can will get you through the worst of them.

    Nice tree. Wanna come over and do mine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tree looks good Helen. We also put our tree up this weekend. We really got fortunate with our live tree this year and picked it up for a song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tree. I know what you mean about going to work on Monday to take a rest from the weekend.

    ReplyDelete