Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wrapping It Up

I weighed in today at 184.6. This is a 2.6 lb. gain over the last two weeks and exactly where my weight was when I started blogging. It’s also 7.6 lbs. more than I weighed in January of 2009. I’d call this 100% failure on the weight loss front. Most of it is my fault. I started to develop an “I don’t give a damn” attitude because I have been trying since March of 2008 to lose 20 lbs. and swing wildly between giving it my all and giving up. I have been reflecting of this quite a bit over the last couple of weeks and tomorrow I will be posting some things I’ll be reaching for in 2010. I would say some are weight related and some are not but that’s not quite true. It’s all weight related for me I think.

My Hot 100 Wasn’t A Perfect 10

Steve set up a great challenge for us for the last 100 days of 2009 – The Hot 100. I decided to participate and even as I watched myself fail, I learned a whole lot about myself. Here is what I was trying to achieve:

1. Keep the alcohol intake to a minimum.
2. Track my food intake and keep it at 1500 calories or less as a weekly average.
3. Lose 6 pounds in the remaining weeks of 2009.
4. Advance to my next belt in Thai Boxing, which means I have to have perfect attendance and learn the material.

The absolute only thing I was successful on since my last update is that I did receive my next belt in Thai Boxing. Which I am proud of, for sure.

Overall for the entire Hot 100 Challenge I would give myself about a 50% success rate, but obviously giving it your all only 50% of the time doesn’t get you anywhere! Big lesson learned.

Thankfully, I have another chance as Steve has set up a fantastic challenge to get our New Year on track! The Perfect 10 Challenge so named because it is the first challenge of 2010, it is 10 weeks long, and during the course of the challenge we will learn 10 new things about the other participants. On top of that, there’s a fabulous prize for the random winner so go check it out.

My goals for the Perfect 10 Challenge (January 1-March 12, 2010):

  1.  Track my food. If I can’t get to a computer to do it, I’m going to write it in a notebook I will be carrying in my purse. As much as I get sick of doing this, I have to. It’s the only way I know to be completely honest about what I’m doing.
  2. Lose 8 pounds. These exact numbers are tough for me because my thyroid doesn’t always cooperate but I need to reach for something! Besides it will get me back to where I started 2009, as sad as that is.
  3. Run a minimum of 20 miles per week. This can be a tough one for me in the winter (when I'm not training for a race) because I have to put in more treadmill miles than anyone would ever want to ordinarily. But since I’d really like to consider doing some sort of road race in 2010, I need to make sure 20 miles a week is my minimum. 25+ would be better but since I’ve been averaging around 17 or 18 lately, 20 is my goal.
  4. Water: 64 oz. a day. Last year my doc changed some of my meds and for some reason the switch caused me to stop wanting to drink water. I know that sounds completely nutty but I honestly can trace my lack of water issue right back to that switch. I know I can do it, I just have to do it.  Period.
I know these are some pretty basic goals but based on how 2009 is ending for me, I need to get back to basics.

Finally, I'd like to say, I’m really grateful I discovered blogging, simply for the connection that it gives me with the rest of you. Even when I don’t comment, I do read and suck in encouragement from the things you write. Those who have struggled encourage me because I’m in the same boat and yet, we haven’t given up. That’s definitely something. Those who have had awesome success, like Steve, Sean, Jack, Fat DaddyKari and Shelley encourage me because I know eventually I’m going to be where you are. So thank you one and all - whether I mentioned you or not, you are the best! Here's to finding our Perfect 10 in 2010!


7 comments:

  1. I admire you for doing the Perfect 10. I read about this last night on Chris (a deliberate life) and I was so inspired. I think going back to basics is a good thing. The mere fact that you did the previous challenge is wonderful in and of itself. You have a great attitude. At least you're trying. And yes, we're going through a rough patch right now but we'll get through it. Failure is not an option for us.

    I was up most of the night and reading other blogs and let me say "I am soooo inspired". I thought I felt alone but that's not the case. I'm so glad I started bloggin.

    2010 is going to be our year

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so similar it's kind of freaky! I wanted to lose 26 pounds in 2009. Instead I gained 14 pounds. Today I weigh 176 (Ugh!). It's just so frustrating!

    Like you, I'm going to try hard this year. This will be our year, right? This time we'll do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can do this Helen!! 2010 is a new year, and we have learned so much in 2009. Like you, I am so THANKFUL that I found blogging and all of you.
    I've started listing my Perfect 10 goals but I've got some verbage to add to them for Friday's official start date.
    The Hot100 taught me to make smaller more attainable weekly goals and so I'm basing my Perfect 10 on some of those so that I can really give it my best.
    I just have to fix that crutch of mine....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, don't you live in CT? If so, maybe we can find a 5k near you (I don't mind driving)or between our two towns (I'm in West Haven)and run it together. I'd need time to train for it, so something in summer!??

    It would give us something to work toward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you started blogging, Helen - you bring a really great perspective to blogland! I am still cracking up at your comment on my blog this morning...I know what you meant, but picturing you and your husband slugging and kicking it out still has me giggling!

    Good luck with your new set of goals. Sometimes ya just have to wipe the slate clean and start fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this post - and I liked the comments. 2010 is a clean slate and those "basic" (I'd say ambitious) goals will produce outstanding results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, I am doing the challenge...let's go.
    You can get those pounds off, I know you can.
    Where did I put my pom poms...lol.
    It's one pound at a time.
    that's all...that easy, that hard.
    Here's to the next 10 weeks.

    ReplyDelete