My Hot 100 Wasn’t A Perfect 10
Steve set up a great challenge for us for the last 100 days of 2009 – The Hot 100. I decided to participate and even as I watched myself fail, I learned a whole lot about myself. Here is what I was trying to achieve:
1. Keep the alcohol intake to a minimum.
2. Track my food intake and keep it at 1500 calories or less as a weekly average.
3. Lose 6 pounds in the remaining weeks of 2009.
4. Advance to my next belt in Thai Boxing, which means I have to have perfect attendance and learn the material.
The absolute only thing I was successful on since my last update is that I did receive my next belt in Thai Boxing. Which I am proud of, for sure.
Overall for the entire Hot 100 Challenge I would give myself about a 50% success rate, but obviously giving it your all only 50% of the time doesn’t get you anywhere! Big lesson learned.
Thankfully, I have another chance as Steve has set up a fantastic challenge to get our New Year on track! The Perfect 10 Challenge so named because it is the first challenge of 2010, it is 10 weeks long, and during the course of the challenge we will learn 10 new things about the other participants. On top of that, there’s a fabulous prize for the random winner so go check it out.
My goals for the Perfect 10 Challenge (January 1-March 12, 2010):
- Track my food. If I can’t get to a computer to do it, I’m going to write it in a notebook I will be carrying in my purse. As much as I get sick of doing this, I have to. It’s the only way I know to be completely honest about what I’m doing.
- Lose 8 pounds. These exact numbers are tough for me because my thyroid doesn’t always cooperate but I need to reach for something! Besides it will get me back to where I started 2009, as sad as that is.
- Run a minimum of 20 miles per week. This can be a tough one for me in the winter (when I'm not training for a race) because I have to put in more treadmill miles than anyone would ever want to ordinarily. But since I’d really like to consider doing some sort of road race in 2010, I need to make sure 20 miles a week is my minimum. 25+ would be better but since I’ve been averaging around 17 or 18 lately, 20 is my goal.
- Water: 64 oz. a day. Last year my doc changed some of my meds and for some reason the switch caused me to stop wanting to drink water. I know that sounds completely nutty but I honestly can trace my lack of water issue right back to that switch. I know I can do it, I just have to do it. Period.
Finally, I'd like to say, I’m really grateful I discovered blogging, simply for the connection that it gives me with the rest of you. Even when I don’t comment, I do read and suck in encouragement from the things you write. Those who have struggled encourage me because I’m in the same boat and yet, we haven’t given up. That’s definitely something. Those who have had awesome success, like Steve, Sean, Jack, Fat Daddy, Kari and Shelley encourage me because I know eventually I’m going to be where you are. So thank you one and all - whether I mentioned you or not, you are the best! Here's to finding our Perfect 10 in 2010!