Friday, December 4, 2009

Wrapping Up the Week

Once again I have been gifted with a blog award by Lori-Ann at Amazon Runner and Sandra at My Travels to Becoming A Better Me:




Thank you ladies! I enjoy your blogs equally as much, appreciate your kind comments on mine, and am proud to call you my “Imaginary” friends!

As I’ve mentioned several times, I haven’t been feeling well and finally got some medication. I’m still not feeling as well as I think I should be so I’m hoping I don’t have to do a second round of antibiotics. I was up for 2 hours in the middle of the night trying to calm my cough down. Even cough syrup wasn’t helping. Needless to say when the alarm went off at 4 I hit snooze a couple of times and didn’t make it downstairs to coffee until 4:30. I stuck to my plan and ran but decided to run on the treadmill rather than outside in pretty cool air.

I have been waking up feeling “empty” for several days in a row now. This morning I recalled that usually means my body is trying to lose weight. I sure hope so. My goal at the beginning of 2009 was to lose 20 lbs. My goal now is to not weigh more on December 31 than I did when the year started. Looking back at my charts, etc. I realized I have been bouncing up and down 6 lbs. all year long. Soooooo frustrating.

I’ve been taking a long hard look and have to admit I think I let the frustration get too much of a hold on me several times so that I quit everything to do with controlling portions and eating properly (I never quit exercising though). I know I shouldn’t let what a scale is telling me control my emotions and patterns with food but somehow I’ve yet to fully take hold of that. I think part of it goes to when I initially gained back the 20 lbs. In January of 2008 I weighed 158. By April 1 I weighed 168. I had changed nothing but my thyroid whacked out and I didn’t know it. Of course when I got my bloodwork done and got the results, I knew why I’d had that steady gain. It didn’t make me feel any better knowing it was a medical thing. The doc changed my meds and I kept at trying to lose. Then I started training for a marathon and gained another 7 lbs. I was hungry all the time and couldn’t seem to balance how much running I was doing (40+ miles/week) with what I needed to eat. After the marathon was complete and my running was drastically cut back, I gained another 3 lbs. and ended 2008 at 178. Talk about a hard, hard fall.

Yesterday, Fat Daddy Rants wrote in his blog, “Will there be a reward for watching my pals and my dad, chow down while my belly growled? Am I the only one who still resents that? I know it is for my own good, but Holy Shit, sometimes I just want to cut loose.”

That really struck a cord with me. Time to stop cutting loose, time to focus. So once again my 2010 goal will be to lose 20+ lbs. My only hope is that my thyroid will stay in check.  In the meantime I try to  keep my eyes on the prize and hopefully get some of the "+" off before December 31st.

4 comments:

  1. I tend to abandon the exercise but continue with the healthy eating. Just the opposite of you! Part of it is just being lazy. The other part is that from past experience I find that when I am too physically busy, I get sick. So, conveniently, I tend to believe that I better not exercise every day or I will get worn out. Have no idea if that's really true or not, but it sure works well as an excuse!

    I totally experience what Fat Daddy Raves says! I hate how I have to be so aware and "suffering" as I eat, and others can just have at it, with no apparent ill effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too... tend to let the exercise slip more than I let the eating slip, but hey this week, I have been on top of the exercise and the eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it sounds like the other half of the equation is finally turning for you - they say that of the diet and exercise combo, the majority of it depends on diet. So you may be pleasantly surprised at how fast the weight comes off once you really start focusing on that, since you have the exercise part down pat. Good luck - I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Beth, I tend to stay on track with the food but get overwhelmed with all of my commitments and have bad weeks with the exercise. Maybe a goal would help you, like running a certain race this coming year?

    ReplyDelete