Friday, December 11, 2009

You Have Questions?

A group of people from my job went to look at a piece of artwork this morning that the company is considering buying to put up as a tribute/memoriam to my boss.  It's a limited edition sculputure of an eagle and a flag.  My boss was a huge patriot and those two things really symbolize him.  I wasn't wowed, even though it was a very nice piece of art.  I realized on the drive back to the office that I might not ever like anything that is chosen.  He had such a huge presence I can't imagine being able to fully express him and his life in the correct way.  I guess that's true of anyone we care about.

I have been asked some questions over the last week in the comments on my blog.  I always struggle on whether or not to go back and answer immediately, let it go, or do what I'm going to do today - answer them in a separate blog.

Shelley asked me if my Christmas Tree was a Noble Fir.  Nope, it's a Balsam.  Sometimes we choose a Fraser Fir but the Balsams looked better this year.

Sandra asked me what I wear when I run in the cold.  I know this will sound silly to some of you but it completely depends on just how cold it is.  For the cold we will be experiencing tomorrow morning (20s with wind chill) I will wear two pairs of leggings, a long tank style sports bra, a long-sleeved technical shirt, a wind buffer jacket, gloves, a headband, two pairs of socks and of course, my runnign shoes.  All of the clothing (including the jacket) is wicking style, meaning as I sweat it pushes the sweat away from my body to the outer layer of the clothing so that it will evaporate and dry.  I remember when I first started running I wore cotton.  Yikes!  I can't even imagine taking a short 3 mile run in a cotton t-shirt now.  Technical clothing can be expensive but I'm lucky in that I often find it at the local TJ Maxx or Marshall's for about 1/3 of the cost.

One of the best tools anyone who wants to exercise outside can use is the What to Wear feature on Runner's World.com.  In fact, usually at the beginning of every seasonal change I use it because I can never remember what I like to wear when it's say 45 degrees vs. 25 degrees.  Check it out, you'll love it.

Finally, Jack asked me if I would come to his house to decorate.  Since Jack is celebrating opposite day today, I will answer like this:  "Of course Jack.  There's nothing more I'd rather do this weekend than to be at your beck and call and decorate your house and tree!"

I hope everyone has a great weekend and if you haven't finished already, finds the time to finish up Christmas/Hannukah shopping!  Oh, and of course, to eat great and find the time to exercise too.

6 comments:

  1. Not funny!

    Oh sh*t... I forgot I'm doing my Opposite Day day today. That means, I did think it was funny. Hoisted by my own petard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwahaha


    Thanks for the link on the clothes!
    I think I might need to invest in a long sleeve wicking shirts. I'll have to check Marshall's - thanks for the tip because I never would have thought to look there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tips on the clothes. I froze my buns off out on my walk/run yesterday. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a reformed cotton wearer! Too cold in the winter and too heavy in the summer!
    Thanks for the tip about Marshalls and TJ Maxx!

    The artwork sounds like a nice tribute.

    Thanks for the nice comment on my little blog today! It made me smile!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah thanks for answering my question Helen. It is so important here with the cold weather we have. I think I may also need to get myself a set of ice grips for my shoes. It is so slippery out there. I've left my hints with Ron on what types of stuff I need from our local running room.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for answering my tree question! I have to say I liked you answer to Jack's question the best, lol!

    ReplyDelete