Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Another Good Day and A Recipe

Monday Stats:

45 minute run on the treadmill
1380 calories; 146 g carbs; 37g fat; 113g protein
8 glasses of water!
No alcohol!

Woo Hoo for me, but oy, I barely made the water .  I forced myself to drink a glass before bed - which of course meant I had to get up in the middle of the night ;-)  A small price to pay for being hydrated I guess.
I swear this extra cold weather that we're in is just wearing me down.  What I'd really like to do is stay in pajamas and stay home and drink hot chocolate (notice I did not say water).  I guess maybe it's a good thing that I have to get up and go to work.  I heard on the news this morning that 2/3 of the United States is locked into this below normal cold and it's not goiung to end any time soon.

I'm not a food blogger but I do love to cook and create - it's actually one of my hobbies.  I made something as a side dish for dinner that was so delicious I thought I'd share that recipe with you today.

Mini Chile Relleno Casseroles
(adapted from a recipe I saw in an Eating Well magazine)

Makes 6-8 oz ramekins

2 small cans diced green chiles, drained well
3/4 cup (12 T) corn frozen or canned, thawed or drained and patted dry
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
6 large egg whites
4 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 6-8 ounce heatproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
2. Equally divide green chiles, corn and scallions among the ramekins. Top each with cheese. Whisk milk, egg whites, eggs and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the ramekins.
3. Bake the mini casseroles until the tops begin to brown and the eggs are set, about 30-35 minutes depending on your oven.

Nutrition facts per serving:
217 calories; 7 grams fat (3g saturated); 219g cholesterol; 725g sodium; 23g protein

I served these as a side dish to some grilled chicken that I had marinated in a Chipotle sauce, and a green salad. Delicious! I think you could also make this as one big casserole, you'd just have to increase the cooking time appropriately.  I also am thinking about adding some things next time, like black olives or some dried chipotle chilis.  So many things that I could do with this recipe.

While we were eating I told the hubby that I could actually eat one of the casseroles for breakfast - so guess what I have with me today?

Thai Boxing on the schedule tonight.  The dojo changed their schedule and have made it so that hubby and I can't go together until I advance to my next belt.  The whole reason I started taking the classes was so that we could do something together.  I keep trying to tell myself that it's only until the end of March, but still it's frustrating.  On the other hand, one of my 2010 goals is to try to learn to fly by the seat of my pants more and not worry so much about planning and scheduling so maybe this will be good practice in that area.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy looking recipe Helen - I will have to give that a go. Great results on your day! Water is important as I am greatly finding out with that Hot Yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe looks delicious! I love to cook too and always looking for something new. Thanks for sharing and great job staying accountable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having trouble getting the water down too. It's easy in the summer when I'm sweating like a pig! It's hard when it's cold! I want hot chocolate or coffee or tea, something hot!

    Great job with the exercise and eating! And avoiding the adult beverages!

    I make a very similar recipe! Only the big size like you mentioned! It's like a crustless quiche, isn't it! And oh-so-yum-O!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, the recipe sounds delicious and very Point friendly. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete