Friday, January 15, 2010

Another Good Week, Not Quite Perfect

Thursday Stats:
90 minutes Muay Thai (that's right people I did back to back classes!)
1534 calories; 179g carbs; 49g fat; 100g protein
10 glasses of water
No alchol

This is the second edition of the Perfect 10 update. Here are my goals:

Track my food.  I did this every day, even on my R&R day.  I have been posting my stats every day except for my R&R day.  This has been a good exercise and keeps me accoutable.


Lose 8 pounds.  I am well on my "weigh" to making this goal. (See below)


Run a minimum of 20 miles per week. I ran 20.65 miles this week!  I am slowly increasing the amount of time I'm running which helps with the mileage of course.


Water: 64 oz. a day. OK, so this is where I struggled.  I had several days where I just didn't make it.  Many of those days it was extremely cold, even in my office, so I ended up drinking decaf coffee where I should have been drinking water.  Obviously, this is a work in progress for me.

Still, I am pleased with this "Back to Basics" experiment and am seeing the result of generally feeling much better.

Now for this week's weigh in:

As good as this week was numerically, that's only a .2 drop.  Still, it's a total of 4.6 lbs. in 2 weeks.  I am happy that the scale moved downward and cannot truly complain.

I will say that I feel like the Biggest Loser contestants do on their week 2. (For those who don't watch BL, week 2 is notorious for lower weight loss.)  My brain is saying, "Huh?  No way!  You worked just as hard as last week! Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."  But, as Trainer Bob said, my body was shocked last week and now this week is trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing.  It's all good.

I know you've been waiting with bated breath for my interesting item and here it is.  When I was 18 years old, I got married (for the first time - I'm on #2 now).  OK, not so interesting - yet!  See, I married someone who was not a US Citizen who was in the US in college and he had to go back to his country to repay his college education.  So at 18 years old, I moved to Lusaka, Zambia, Central Africa.  I actually ended up living there for 4 years and that is where my gorgeous daughter was born.  There's lots more I could tell you but I'm going to hold back a little as I may use some of my experience there in my next updates.  But seriously, if you are a parent can you imagine letting your 18 year old daughter move that far away, not knowing when she is coming back?

17 comments:

  1. Wow... that is a REALLY interesting item! Central Africa at 18... can't imagine it. Great job on your goals... you'll get the water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your goals Helen! I think you had a very successful week.
    Imagine my 18yr old moving that far away? Nope, would have been very difficult. I moved 9 hours away from my parents, had my daughter there, they came to see me, and I immediately followed them back home... 9hrs versus different country is a totally different thing... It would have been very hard (both for you and your parents).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're still going in the right direction and it is your second week back on it. Last week you did amazing.

    So we need to talk about our race to 170. Should we put a friendly wager on it? Do you have any ideas? I wasn't thinking money, but maybe something else.

    Africa!!! Oh my gosh that must have been scary but exciting for you, and only 18 years old. I seriously can't even imagine doing something like that. I moved to Hawaii by myself when I was 21, but that was way different. I can't wait to hear more about it, sounds very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a parent, no. You have led an adventurous life! Good job on moving the scale downward...as long as it's going that direction, that's all that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a .2 loss last week - week one! Better this week. Wow, how interesting to live in Zambia. You could probably write a lot about that! As a parent, Central Africa sounds pretty daunting, but I have a daughter in the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic who was close enough to Haiti to feel some tremors on the day of the quake. They didn't know what it was they were feeling until they heard the news. Yikes! You're going to hit that goal well before the Perfect 10 is over, I predict.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is going down and that is good right? I just love hearing these tidbits on people. I think it is so exciting that you lived in Africa. I have never moved out of the area I grew up in...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on a good week!
    Africa! How interesting! I can't wait to hear about your experience there!
    My daughter married a man from Ohio when she was 23 (7 yrs ago) and they talked about moving to Ohio to live and I cried everytime! I couldn't imagine if they talked about living in another country!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been out of the country, so WOW! My daughter is turning 18 in March - she is going to Germany in the summer, but only for 3 weeks!

    I think you are doing awesome!

    Oh, I made a note to myself today - not try to run an hour and a half after eating chili - I was a running fart factory - luckily I was the only one there!!!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to go to Africa!

    Good job on your progress. I'm at a plateau, too. I'm keepin on keepin on, though. That's all we can do. Eventually, we'll see progress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want my scale to say 180! Thanks for the reminder that my scale does, indeed, go down to that number and beyond! :)

    18 in Africa. I was there when I was 22...still young...but much older than 18. Yowsa. I bet it was wonderful and terrifying all at once. Did you ever read the book "the white maasai"? It was written by a german woman. If you have not read it, you might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay Helen, so far your interesting item takes the cake this week! Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow Africa!! WOW!!

    congrats on the weigh in :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super interesting fact, Helen! Wow, can't wait to hear more (and I like the idea of a pattern existing in what you choose to divulge of yourself.)

    Sounds to me like you had a fantastic week! When I struggle to drink cold water in winter, I often drink boiled water with a dash of vanilla essence or a slice of ginger in it. Works well for upping my water intake.

    Good luck for week 3!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like youre doing great!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good post! Looks like you're doing great on your goals. Water is a tricky one. Some days I can guzzle it and sometimes it's like I can't drink any at all!
    Hope you had a great weekend....thanks for visiting my site! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice loss for the 2 week period. I have found the same thing to be true about running. If you keep at it, your endurance improves. It's very encouraging. The increases are in time are slow but it all adds up over the weeks. When I first started, I ran one, that's one minute. Not two, just one. That was this past fall. Now I run about 11 minutes (off and on) in a 30 minute session. I'm not winning any races, I know, but I'm encouraged by my progress, small as it is.

    Thank you for your ipod suggestions.

    ReplyDelete