Thursday, January 7, 2010

Getting a Grip

Wednesday Stats:
50 minute run on the treadmill while watching Biggest Loser premiere
1428 calories; 173g carbs; 38g fat; 96g protein
8 glasses of water.  Sigh.
No alcohol!

Well it looks like I'm getting a grip here with the water and alcohol. Mind you I wasn't even drinking a lot - probably the equivalent of 1 glass of wine a day.  But something had to change and pretty much the no alcohol and more water is all I've changed. My exercise and eating have stayed the same.  I've had a theory for a while now that the alcohol has been messing with my metabolism.  Even though the doc tells me that my thyroid is in good range, I SWEAR things affect me differently now.  I'm not going to say to you that I'm never drinking again, but I am going to get back to less of it, that's for sure.   Anyway, I think the real "tell" will be when I weigh in tomorrow.

Food yesterday was fine - easy - no battling demons.  On the way home from work, however, I really, really, REALLY wanted to have a glass of wine.  Thankfully I had a manicure appointment before going home because that redirected my energy for an hour.  When I walked in the house it was 6:30 and I literally said out loud, "You are not drinking anything but decaf coffee, tea, pepsi or water!"  And, that's what I did.  This time I think the urge for the wine was because I was genuinely hungry since once I sat down and had my soup and sandwich and glass of iced tea, there was no battle to be fought.  Still, I will be glad when my better habits take over and the old ones fade into the distant past.

After dinner, here's what I made to have as a dessert/treat for a few days:

Pumpkin Mousse

1 small package sugar free/fat free vanilla pudding, made with 1 1/2 cups skim milk.  Set aside for 5 minutes.

When set, sprinkle on top 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice then whisk in 1 cup canned pumpkin.  When thoroughly blended, fold in 1 cup Light Cool Whip.

Portion into 4 individual serving dishes, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

This makes 4 BIG helpings and honestly sometimes I'll divide mine into 5 or 6 dishes.  But, I feel so virtuous when I have this because it has milk and vegetables in it.  Also, maybe because it's already in individual servings, it's portion controlled and I'm not even tempted to eat more than one dish.

Nutrition Facts (for 4 servings):

122 calories
2.7 g fat
396 g sodium
21 g carbs
2 g fiber
4.3 g protein

9 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome recipe! I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be reading my mind! I was wanting some pudding last night and today you've shared a really yummy looking recipe! Thanks! I'm making this soon!

    Good job on the eating/drinking/not drinking!

    And I'm always impressed with your workouts!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helen - Good work on making the changes you're trying to make. Just a day at a time. I'm totally going to make that recipe - possibly tonight. Sounds awesome! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pumpkin mousse sounds great and I love that it has a vegetable in it - never would have though of it that way, but it's true!

    Good job with the water/wine...forming new habits are hard but you're doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no wine last night too! :D This is huge for me - like you, it was only 2 (okay big) glasses of wine a night - but it had to go.

    I have to wait until BL comes on Fine Living this weekend - I forgot it started this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Helen - it is all about changing the habits - I totally agree. I too don't do much drinking but when I get that craving it has a reason - boredom, stress or something along that line. You are doing an excellent job and I bet you will see a difference on the scale tomorrow. I know I have - I peaked today :)

    The recipe looks great - I've got to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You seem to be on good path! You kick butt with the running! It will be quite some time before I can run for an hour.

    Thanks for the info you sent. I appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you're replacing your wine habit with healthy habits. I know how hard that is to do too. I had a wine habit and a food habit. Slowly I broke the wine. The food thing still gets hold of me sometimes...especially lately (darnit).

    That pumpkin dessert sounds fast, easy and delicious. I'm going to give it a try. And super low calorie too. Can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete