Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just the Facts, Ma'am

Monday Stats:
45 minute run
1474 caloreis/ 156g carbs; 55g fat; 102g protein
6 glasses of water
No alchohol

That "no alcohol" and my calorie count were both a huge victory for me.

The ladies in my office took my bosses wife out last night for her birthday.  We were going to go to a new place that had opened up recently.  When I looked online at their menu and seen the prices of the food (appetizers were running around $20!) I decided that I would go, have something to drink and politely leave.  Not that my finances are tight but I just didn't want to spend that sort of money.  As it turned out, some of the younger ladies in the office do have tight budgets and aksed if we could go somewhere else.  Suddenly we were going to Chilis! Oy Vey.

I immediately got online and printed out the nutrition facts for that restaurant because I know it's high calorie, high fat, super high sodium.  They do have a "Guiltless Grill" section but it's not as guiltless as you'd think.  I looked at what I had to eat for the day and then figured out what to eat so I could stay in plan. While I'm doing this my bosses wife calls and asks me if I knew the plans had changed so I said that I did and, in fact, had just printed out the nutrition facts.  She laughed nervously and asked me if she even dared to know what her nachos that she loves were.  I told her she probably didn't want to know but that I'd tell her.  The conversation was really funny. (This woman does not need to lose a pound but she works at being healthy.) She asks me to transfer her up to the Finance Dept. Evidently, she spread the word about my calculating because next thing I know the other ladies who are going to dinner are all asking me if they can "borrow" my nutrition facts.  I passed them on and never saw them again. 

We get to the restaurant and the menus are passed out.  Suddenly I see those printed nutrition facts whipped out and being passed around the table. Do you know that out of the 8 women who went, only 1 of them ordered something sort of high calorie?  HA! As I sat there watching my friends I wondered if anyone else would have thought to get those numbers before dinner.  So, even though sometimes I know people think I'm a dork with this stuff, it made me feel good that not only had I stayed on plan for myself, but that perhaps I helped other people make better choices.

And the alcohol? - Everyone but me had a drink.  I ordered unsweetened iced tea.

This morning, I got up and a pair of dress slacks that haven't fit me in months went on and zipped up without me having to lay down on my bed.

It has been a pretty good 24 hours. :-)

13 comments:

  1. That's a great story and it's great that you were influential in them making better choices! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the pants and leading the pack!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to stick to the plan! Sounds like you're getting good results, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kinda makes you stand a little taller when stuff like that happens! Way to go! Everyone in your office respects you! I bet you are now the one to go to for healthy eating!
    Just wait till they find out about the running! And the Thai boxing!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for good choices and zippers! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Helen, that feels good doesn't it - to actually stay on course when tempted with temptation. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a good influence on your work comrades - I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *ahem* I wouldn't think to print off the nutrition facts. Great tip! Thanks. Kudos on the pants, I can't wait for mine to finally fit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen you rock! Glad you were rewarded for your hard work too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's it, be a role model. That's better than a "roll" model. Ok, ok. not that funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome! What a positive influence you are on those around you! What a great day!

    ReplyDelete