Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Yum.

Monday Stats:
55 minute run
1522 calories; 173g carbs; 53g fat; 89g protein
7 glasses of water
No alcohol

Little bit frustrated with my calorie intake.  Since last Friday I've been eating at the upper end of my range which surely means little to no weight loss this week.  We'll see.  Struggled mightily with water Sunday and yesterday.  I think it's the cold because I keep wanting coffee.  At least I've been drinking decaf.

Thought I'd share another recipe with you today.  I made this for our dinner last night because it comes together fairly quick.  I served it with a chopped vegetable salad so my whole dinner was under 450 calories.  If you like middle eastern flavors, you'll love this:

Chicken Shawarma
4 servings


For the chicken marinade:
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 16 strips

Sauce:
1/2 cup plain reduced fat Greek Yogurt
2 T tahini
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, minced

Condiments:
4 Flatbread style pitas
1 cup chopped romaine
8 tomato slices

Directions:
To prepare chicken, combine ingredients for marinade from lemon juice through minced garlic. Add chicken strips and toss to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes.

To prepare the sauce combine yogurt through minced garlic clove, stirring with a whisk. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Thread the chicken strips onto skewers and grill 4 minutes on each side or until done. (Alternately, cook your chicken strips on a George Forman grill.)

To serve: place 1 flatbread or pita bread on a plate. Top with 1/4 cup chopped romaine lettuce and a couple of tomato slices; then 4 strips of chicken and 2 Tablespoons of sauce.

Notes:  Tahini is ground sesame seeds - almost looks like peanut butter.  You can find it in the ethnic aisle at your grocery store.  I use a whole grain pita that only has 110 calories but has 7 grams of fiber made by Damascus Bakery.  I think a Flat-out Flatbread would work too.  You can use any Greek yogurt from fat free-2% and it doesn't change the calorie content that much.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. That sounds delish!! Way to go keeping up with your stats. It's not an easy thing to do! Hope it warms up for you. It's supposed to be 50 here tomorrow which will be like a heat wave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flavor combinations in this Helen! I just started trying curry powder, and turns out I like it - but then again I tend to like spicy food! :D

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm always looking for something new to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a good day to me! If you shifted about 30 of those grams of carbs to 30 more grams of protein...I bet that calorie level might work wonders. I have noticed, too...that doing 1500 a couple days, they 1300 a couple days, then 1800 for a day.....changing it up....keeps things going better and keeps the body guessing. Tho..I am finding it much harder to remove 5 pounds not than I did 70 pounds ago..that is for darn sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounds great, I may give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really good. I've never purchased Tahini. Could I substitute some other ingredient? Your workout an stats look really good. It's this darn weather--the cold just makes me want to drink coffee and when I drink coffee I want something sweet. I'm trying to limit my coffee. It's a challenge.

    Really, your day looks pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That recipe looks wonderful. I love Middle Eastern food.

    So are we racing to 170? You know I really feel like I'm on a roll, like I just might be able to do it. :)

    I have a blog award for you...check out my post today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am actually counting this recipe as your BSI recipe Helen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen! Oooo, this looks good! Saw your mention of schwarma on Biz's blog, and this is timely, because I just bought a tub of schwarma seasoning and wasn't sure how to use it!

    ReplyDelete