Friday, February 26, 2010

Another 1 Bites the Dust

Happy Friday blogland.  Let's get right to it shall we?


That's a 1.2 lb. loss this week and a new breakthrough -
3 weeks in a row of losing weight!
Can I get an Amen?!

I hope this truly is a sign that I am winning the thyroid and body battle that I 've been in for months. I've always said that I don't care what the loss is, I just want to see that scale going down.

Since it's Friday, it's time for another Perfect 10 update.  It's going to be simple this week.  Goals:

Track my food: Yes, every day
Lose 8 pounds: Total of 6.6 so far
Run a minimum of 20 miles per week: Nope, not this week.  did 16.85 which is pretty darn good for someone recovering from pneumonia
Water: 64 oz. a day: Yes.  Easy but I still think it's because I'm so dried out from all the meds I'm on.

Now for this weeks fact about Helen. I did not start running until I was 42 years old.  I started by 'accident' when my doctor suggested I insert some running intervals into my regular walks.  He suggested this because I was trying desperately to stay off blood pressure meds.  He suggested that I go to a track and walk a lap then run a lap.  Easy enough, right?  NOPE.  That first running lap was about 1/3 of the of the lap running and the rest walking and trying to catch my breath.  Because I have what Mr. Helen calls a pit bull streak (when I get ahold of something I won't. let. go.), there was no way in heck I was going to let that lap defeat me!  I kept at it until I could run that whole lap.  When I worked my way up to running 12 laps I decided to enter my first road race.  Back then I had no clue that good running shoes and wicking clothing was important.  In fact, I ran my first race with both of my legs bound up from ankle to knee because I had such bad shin splints.  But, when I crossed that finish line, running had me hook, line and sinker. In the end, I still had to start taking those BP meds - the doc said you can't fight genetics sometimes - but I have never looked back and today I proudly call myself a runner.

Speaking of running first races, if you have a minute pop over to Shelley's blog and wish her good luck - she's running her very first 5K tonight!

17 comments:

  1. Woot Woot Helen! Congrats on the weight loss!! 3 weeks in a row is a very good sign.
    When I got on the scale this morning, I was just happy it hasn't been going up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Helen! 3 weeks in a row of losing. I hope I can say that 3 weeks from today! Like Sandra abvoe, I was thrilled that my weight is unchanged for the last couple weeks. Not down, but not up. That alone is achievement given my downtime with knee. After today, I hope to very slowly begin the rebuilding process of exercise and the re-losing process with weight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure I'm too interested in running but I'm really looking forward to getting back into bike-riding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Post pneumonia. And the consistent weight loss is fantastic. I've been on a roll too and I don't mean a fatroll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock Helen! I'm really excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing so great with your weight loss - congratulations on another stellar week!!!

    Thanks for the shout out, and I loved your running story!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slow and steady as she goes! Another loss! That's great news!
    I can't believe you're a relative newbie runner! You have accomplished much in the short time you have been running! Very inspiring! I'm in my 3rd year of attempting to run! I have much to learn and accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen indeed! Great news on the weight loss front and SO glad you are recovered from your horrid lung issues!! Great story about becoming a runner! Hey, I started at 41. Who says old dogs cannot learn new tricks?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job!! The fact that you became a runner at 42 gives me hope -- I have a year and a half to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOOOHOOOOOOO, go you!

    I am a late-in-life runner too. I'll be 42 next month, the day before my first 5K of 2010. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. amen sistar!!! you are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen! That's so awesome Helen! I have to go check out how Shelley did - so proud of her - AND YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So weird. I haven't been reading many blogs lately, and I pop over here and what do I see...you lost EXACTLY the same amount of weight I lost at my weighin today. 1.2 pounds. Too freaky weird is what I say! Good luck to both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoohoo, Helen, I'm so happy for you that things are moving on again. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete