Monday, February 15, 2010

I Have The Day Off but Not Because It's President's Day

Bronchial Pneumonia -1   Helen - 0

Yep, that's right.  I was literally up all night in a coughing spasm.  But, instead of the cough feeling loose, it got tighter and tighter all night long.  My regular MD doesn't have office hours until noon on Mondays so I went to a walk-in clinic because I needed to go to work.

Two hours later I walked out after a breathing treatment, with 4 prescriptions in my hands and a note to not return to work until at least Wednesday and possibly Thursday.  I am now on Albuterol, Advair, Zithromax and a Codeine cough syrup.  The doc literally wants me to lay around and puff and inhale and swallow syrup every 4 hours for the next two days.  I'm going to cooperate because I feel lousy but I have to admit I worry about the no work thing because my job situation is so tenuous right now.

He also told me NO EXERCISE!  Which is pretty horrifying to me  but if he hadn't told me I swear I would have tried to get on the treadmill today because that's exactly what I did yesterday.  I'm betting that 4 mile run probably exasperated my lungs.  I know, I'm stubborn to my own detriment sometimes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The picture I posted yesterday was of the actual Godiva Dark Truffles and card given to me by Mr. Helen. He was so excited when he gave it to me because it has taken him almost 20 years to “get it” that I like dark chocolate and Godiva is my favorite. He was so cute and sweet: “I really wanted you to have these because I know you love them. Then I almost took them back because you came home and said you were doing so well with the Biggest Loser and I want to be your biggest fan and I don’t want to derail you.” You could have knocked me over with a feather as that is the first time in all the years we’ve been together that he has expressed his support that way – a pretty good Valentine’s gift in itself. As you can see I kept the candy. I told him that Godiva gives you a map so you know what each truffle has in it AND they give you the nutrition facts so I was just going to fit those right in as one of my treats. Yesterday, I allowed myself two of them and still came in under 1400 calories for the day.  However, from this point on, they're rationed and limited to 1 per day.  Here for your viewing pleasure you’ll understand why I will eat only 1 per day:


14 comments:

  1. Hi Helen!
    Please stay off the treadmill!!! and take very good care of those lungs. :)

    That was VERY sweet of Mr. Helen to offer support and dark chocolate for V-Day.

    My God ... the nutrition facts are scary. I've eaten an entire box of those more than a few times in my life.

    Take VERY good care of yourself and I hope you're better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww, what a SWEET hubby!

    Take care of yourself & yes, stay away from the treadmill!

    My own dh is prone to bronchitis & pneumonia so I know how nasty that stuff can get. Puff, drink & rest until you feel much, much better...hopefully soon!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not mess around with the pneumonia - it is serious stuff! Rest longer than you think you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hunk! You've got a keeper, even if you pruned him that way. ;)

    Get better soon. Pampered comes to mind. I hope you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lung issues are a ligitimite excuse not to exercise! You'll be OK, your body needs all its energy to heal. ALLOW yourself to be sick.

    Sorry you have the stress of a tenuous job. . . been there. It sucks.

    Sweet, sweet Mr. Good thing you hung onto 'im!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely follow the doctor's orders; you can DIE from pneumonia! :(

    What a great guy your man is, and awesome that you are using the nutritional info on the Godiva to make portion control your friend. YAY you!!! Now back to bed, missy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! Helen! Please follow the Dr's orders and go against every cell in your being and DO NOTHING!
    Mr. Helen was so sweet! Sometimes they really can surprise us! It's amazing that if they just listened to us they could get it right more often! lol!

    Get well!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you are so sick, but please listen to the other commenters and rest, rest and rest - take care of yourself, take your meds, and wth, take a couple of Godivas - after all, you need everything to make you feel better, right? (enabler I am!)

    That was very cool of your husband to have listened to you about the chocolate, and I love that he doubted whether or not to give it because of your diet - we wives always have to mess with their heads...keeps them on their toes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that is so sweet of your husband!! Love it.

    Ick - I had bronchitis last year and it is the most annoying cough!

    Hope all the meds help, and I agree to wait to exercise! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I were your neighbor I'd bring some hot and spicy chicken garlic soup....sorry you are so sick. NO EXERCISE! Darn it! Let me do it for you (lord knows...I need to get on the ball and move it more than 3 times a week) Hang in there. Get well. Catch up on some movies....get some TV shows on DVD and watch em back to back...just chill and take care!! (Californication.....entertaining....Weeds...omg...compelling....Six Feet Under...creepy and excellently written....lots more....fun fun.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feel better FAST! No exercise is difficult, isn't it? What a sweet hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope by now you are feeling better. I love Godiva dark chocolate, too...what a sweet guy! (I popped over here from POD's blog, btw.) Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you're already feeling MUCH better, Helen! Be sweet with yourself. (Hug).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh! I'm so behind on your blog. What the heck happened to you that you couldn't breathe? The meds sound like asthma, except for the codeine cough syrup (my most favorite prescription drug when I have a cough). I hope you're breathing better now. I have asthma and Advair is my friend. Never bothers me now.

    Sweet Mr. Helen...chocolates...and doesn't want to derail you. Sounds like a keeper for sure. :)

    Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete