Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Marrying George Clooney

Last night I received the nicest email from the couple we had for dinner Saturday night - raving about our home and the food and the fellowship.  Hubby and I talked about it again and decided that perhaps the husband was just feeling a bit off as he has been through a lot lately. Since December his father passed away, he had to move his mother to a nursing home, and he changed jobs just 3 weeks ago.  We had found all this out through the course of the evening but hadn't really considered all of that.  Once again you guys had some great input.  I especially liked Steve's thought:  maybe they had a fight on the way over to our house.  I laughed because my husband and I have done that very thing on occasion!

Feeling a bit better today but also feel like this thing is trying to move to my bronchial system.  As I tend to get bronchial infections, I sure hope not!

I received several books for Christmas and wanted to give a shout out to the one I just finished: Marrying George Clooney: Confessions from a Midlife Crisis by Amy Ferris.

Menopause seems to be the thing that our mothers don't talk to us about.  In addition to the crazy physical symptoms, I have found myself having crazy thoughts sometimes and lately have wondered if "something" was really wrong with me.  Never once did I attribute it to the huge hormonal changes going on in my body right now.  Amy Ferris perfectly captures the struggle each woman faces in trying to reconcile the physical and emotional changes of aging. She writes from the viewpoint of insomnia - which I found absolutely fascinating. I had just said to my husband over the weekend that somewhere between 2:30 and 3:15 am seems to be my menopausal bewitching hour. Every single night, I wake up sometime during that time. The trick is, can I get back to sleep before my mind starts racing too much?

Though Amy has begun to rely on Ambien, every single night she wakes up. Her bewitching hour is 3 am and while wide awke she began to journal her stories. They are alternately honest, funny, painful and hysterical. During this awake time she fantasizes about marrying George Clooney (me too!) and Googles old boyfriends. She is also dealing with a poor relationship with her only brother and a mother who is spiraling down into advanced Alzheimer's.

This truly is a five star book for me. As I began to read it, I felt like someone had dived into my brain and was pulling my thoughts out and putting them on paper. Though not each and every thought is identical Amy managed to make me recognize myself in my own mid-life journey.

If you're there - or even almost there - buy this book - and I have to say, you men should read it too.  It would help you understand why your beloved is acting so crazy! Only $12 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Marrying-George-Clooney-Confessions-Midlife/dp/1580052975#noop

Disclaimer: This book was a Christmas gift to me and this review is entirely mine.  I have not received anything for expressing my opinion!

Monday Stats:
55 minute run
1544 calories; 161g carbs; 65g fat; 83g protein
10 glasses of water
No alcohol (does Nyquil count?)

10 comments:

  1. OH I am so getting this book - thanks Helen. It couldn't come at a better time for me.
    And I am so impressed that you still manage to get your runs in when you are sick with a cold. You have stamina girl - you rock!
    Hope you get feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! That's my witching hour. Stupid insomnia!

    Hoping you feel better soon.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book - with a title like that, how could you miss? I'm putting this one on my library request list!

    For the longest time I kept waking up around 2 am - it was so frustrating! Knock on wood, lately I've been sleeping most of the night before waking at 5 am which is a heck of a lot better for getting some good REM sleep. This whole peri-menopause thing is for the birds.

    Hope you feel better, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book review - it's on my list now! At 56, I'm through the "pause", and what remains for me is that confounded insomnia! I wake about 3:30, and over the last few years finally capitulated by going downstairs, turning on the boob tube, blogging or reading. Once in awhile I fall back to sleep for a bit, but usually that's my wake up for the day! Needless to say, that has moved up by bedtime substantially. I can't do an evening movie now unless it's really compelling, or I'm snoring through it! So many of my friends are in the same boat, and we always joke that we should call each other at 4 a.m. and chat.

    I hope the cold stops pre-bronchial involvement, and you feel better fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO glad to be on the other side of menopause. Over a half dozen years on the other side. Now, I wake between 2-3, go potty, and fall promptly back to sleep. So there IS life after menopause. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an interesting book.
    I'm only 34 but I tell you what...recently there are more days when I wonder just who took over my hormones & wonder if I'm going to follow some of the women in my family who began Peri in their mid-30s. Seems really unfair to me. lol

    Have a great week!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just keep on going! Good job! I hope the crud you've got doesn't become more serious!
    What a relief to get that nice email from your friends! You did throw quite a feast that night after all!
    If I wasn't already all weak-kneed over Johnny Depp, I'd fight you for George Clooney!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a good read. I like how varied her perspectives are emotionally. And who doesn't like george clooney?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not having to deal with this with my wife yet, but I will have to keep this book in mind for when it begins to happen.

    I hope you and your friends get back together - I suspect you will have a great evening the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Alena

    http://ovarianpain.net

    ReplyDelete