Monday, February 8, 2010

Shock and Ow!

I had a busy weekend – thankfully that blizzard that hit the Mid-Atlantic States stayed to our south so we didn’t even get a flake. Saturday evening we went out with friends, which is always fun. On Sunday, I made an attempt at a homemade Muffuletta for Superbowl Sunday and I must say it came out really good. Our resident Diva asked me to share the recipe so I will do that one day this week.

One of the things that I appreciate about blogging is that when I want to vent – or share - my bloggy peeps are there to give virtual hugs and/or share what has worked for them. Last week, several of you suggested that I try things like cycling calories between low and high or adding speed intervals into my running. Unfortunately, those are things that I have either done (calorie cycling) or do (running intervals/speed work). But, those suggestions did keep me thinking about change and looking hard to see what I can do to try to make some better progress towards my ultimate goals.

Thursday evening when I went into the dojo for my Muay Thai class (which is one of the changes I made in the last year to try to shake things up) I noticed a flyer for a Biggest Loser competition. After my class, I looked at the flyer more closely then spoke with one of the Sensei’s about it. They were offering a 12 week Biggest Loser competition based on percentages. Part nutritional information, part team building, part workout. The sensei told me that the workout would not be like anything else we do and that we would be using resistance and weight training as the main focus. Since she is also a certified personal trainer, I knew it probably would be a tough class. It cost only $60 for the 12 weeks and money prizes were going to be awarded for the top 3 losers. I went home and thought about it hard for a day and decided what the heck, at least the class would be completely different from anything I’m currently doing and maybe that will shock my body.

There are 15 of us taking part in the competition – 5 of them are men so I don’t think many of us women have a chance in hell to win any of the money, but since that wasn’t my goal, I didn’t care.

When the class started we ran around the room for a couple minutes to warm up. Then they told us to get weights. Even when I’m out of shape, I can usually start with 8 lb. weights but to be on the safe side, I decided to use 5 lbs. for the first class. Um, when you do a whole bunch of moves, one after the other for 15 minutes straight, 5 lbs. feels like 50! The class is hard. Hard. Hard. I’ve already got a goal to move from the 5 lb. weights to 8 lbs. by the end of the 12 weeks. Sheesh if the tiny 4’10” 90 lb. Sensei can use 8 lbs. I should be able to as well!

Did I mention that the class was hard? About an hour after I got home, I could feel the soreness setting in. Shock & Ow! Ow! Ow! Mr. Helen finally told me to hush it and take some Aleve. Which I did. Then I took some more on Sunday morning because I was soooo sore that I think I felt slightly nauseous. Ha!

Adding this class to my repertoire means that I will be working out at least 45 minutes a day, 7 days a week. I think I can do that for 12 weeks, although I don’t know if I’d want to do that forever. While, I’m pretty sure it won’t hurt me to commit to that short term, I’ll admit I like having a day of rest. All that remains to be seen is if this change is going to help me move along.

12 comments:

  1. Hey... don't think you can't win that contest. I did a biggest loser contest with work last year based on percentages. I lost the largest percentage of weight. Which means I had shopping money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound positively pumped with energy. Goo for you! I hope that this shakes things up enough for you to be able to see some results. I'm waiting for that recipe . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Helen! What a great thing to do because you'll have a group of people doing it with you. I hope you take the big prize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The competition sounds great. Nothing like a challenge to rev us up. I hope you are one of the 3 big winners.

    That class sounds...hard. I'd give my right arm to be able to participate in a challenge like that right now where there is structure and financial motivation. I have to get these knees healed so I can get back physical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sounds like a great workout Helen. I bet you will just see the lbs and inches melt off. Sounds like it worked you good. I know you know lots already but one of the things I've been told is after a good workout like that, do some additional cardio for about 5 minutes to get the blood flowing and the lactic acid moving out of your muscles. It won't remove all of it but it will lessen the soreness the next day. And lots and lots of water.... :)

    I'm glad I didn't gross you out with my post on Saturday - no way was I posting a picture of the worms. :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. This contest is yours! I know you will win it!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. It sounds like it will definitely help you along! Nice work on that weight-workout! Next time you are at a healthfood-ish store look for "Arnica Gel"....it really helps with soreness. Hugely! Keep up the excellent work. Woo woo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You CAN win it! We had one (BL contest) at work in the fall, and I won the highest percentage over a guy 10-15 years younger than me. Persistence and discipline is the key! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That contest sounds like fun - I really enjoy working out with a group and I hope you do, too. Plus you will for sure lose weight and gain some awesome muscles, so it's win-win, even if you don't win. I just cracked myself up writing that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stop over at my place. I've got something for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy shit that is hard core! You go girl! And I would complain and my hubby would probably say the same thing.

    I did a boot camp class once - you needed a body bar - they came in 3 pound increments so I went searching for my 3 pounder.

    WTF? The lightest one available was 9 pounds! Turns out the instructor hid the 3 and 6 pound ones - that was a hard workout!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You Go Girl! I really admire your courage and determination. I'm definitely a bit of an exercise-phob; I love fun exercise, like snow-shoeing, or hiking, or paddling, but I hate working out in a gym, and that's something I am going to have to change if I want more success on the scale, I think.So, good for you!

    ReplyDelete