Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Try It You'll Like It!

Remember that line?  What commercial is it from?**

I know I'm not technically a food blogger but since I'm home trying to recover and breathe, I actually have time to download pictures into my posts so I can't resist.

I made our Valentine’s dinner on Saturday night since Mr. Helen had to work on Sunday and he gets home late for us to have a nice sit down dinner. We had salad, steak with caramelized onions and gorgonzola butter, and scalloped potatoes. Even though Saturday is usually the one day I eat whatever, I am aware of portions so I just had a small portion of each thing. Mr. Helen found me taking pictures of my scalloped potatoes and I explained to him all about food blogging; how I want to be like Biz when I grow up. Of course, after I took the pictures I realized part of the art of food blogging is taking enough pictures of the steps – which I didn’t do. But, I’m going to share my recipe with you anyway!


Sweetheart Scalloped Potatoes:

2 ½ lbs. Potatoes, peeled & sliced thin (~1/8 inch)
1 medium onion, sliced thin into rings
6 T butter
6 T flour
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 ½ cups skim milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Spray a 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Arrange a layer of potatoes then a layer of onion rings. Sprinkle with 2 T flour, then dot with 2 T butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat layers two more times, until all your ingredients are used up, ending with flour, butter, salt & pepper. Pour the milk over the casserole (make sure you have around an inch of the casserole dish showing). Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 400 for 45 minutes. Put the oven temperature up to 450 and uncover and bake for 15 minutes or until golden on top.

My ingredients - I had already started making layers when I took this picture


Here is what the casserole looks like dry then with the milk poured over



The final masterpiece - yum!




You can use any sort of potatoes you like – I generally use all purpose white, Yukon gold, or red, like I used this time. (Don’t peel the red). I have never, ever had these potatoes come out anything but absolutely delicious.

Also, sometimes it is hard for me share recipes because I'm a cook who doesn't measure exactly.  I tried with this one but you may need more/less potatoes, milk, etc. depending on the shape of your casserole dish.  Just keep making layers and cover it up with milk and they will come out fine.

This will give you 8-10 servings depending on how big your eaters are.

Nutrition per serving (based on 8 servings):

Calories: 226.5
Total Fat: 8.7 g
Cholesterol: 23.6 mg
Sodium: 381.5 mg
Total Carbs: 33.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.7 g
Protein: 5.1 g

**That saying is from an Alka Seltzer commercial that ran on TV in the late 60's and early 70's.  The phrase became such a catch phrase that we still use it in our conversations today!

9 comments:

  1. lol..I thought it was from Life Cereal!

    Your recipe looks very yummy. I've never made these from scratch, always use Betty Crocker. This looks just as easy! We don't have scalloped potatoes very often--a few times a year. I think I'll add your recipe to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good heavens - that looks amazing. I'm going to make it this week. My husband is a potato hound and will go bonkers for this! Thanks for the recipe. The gorgonzola butter sounded rather tasty as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that phrase but couldn't place the commercial...Alka Seltzer!

    I cook the same way as you - a little of this, a little of that...very rarely do I follow a recipe to a tee. Those potatoes look good!

    Glad you are resting. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was from Life Cereal too. The one with Mikey.

    I grew up on potatoes. I know all the various ways to use them. Potato cakes, shepherd's pie, mashed, baked, roasted, potato salad, fries, Scout potatoes. My favorite is something very similar to this. I haven't had it in a while.

    My Hubbend did NOT grow up on potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that saying. And that recipe looks yummy though not especially diety. But that never stops me from tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, looks delish! Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delish! It's great that it's made with skim milk so it's way more "diety" (as POD says)than the regular scalloped potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was Mikey like the others!

    Love love love potatoes so definitely going to try these! Thanks for sharing Miss Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading about what other people make for their festive meals! This year, asparagus was way, way on sale, so I roasted a pound of it with olive oil, salt, and red pepper flakes, and we ate it with baked eggs, bread, and brie. It's a meal made for The Husband and not too, too awful nutrition-wise.

    ReplyDelete