Monday, March 15, 2010

Haven't Learned My Lesson - Yet.

Happy Monday blogland. Once again I took a computer break over the weekend so I have lots of catching up to do.

I am a bit frustrated with myself this Monday morning. For some reason, I took a bit of license with my food and drink this weekend. After hitting my lowest weight in over a year, somehow I mentally decided that it would OK to just eat whatever.

As I was going to bed last night with a tummy full of Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Macadamia Nut Ice Cream, I realized that my relaxation had gone too far and had turned into a License to Kill. Kill my good habits, that is.

As I’ve mentioned before, exercise really is not an issue for me. For example, this weekend I got up early Saturday and ran 5 miles then went and did my Biggest Loser Bootcamp Class. Sunday, I did Bob Harper’s Weight Loss Yoga – which kicked my behind by the way. I probably burned between 700-900 calories in exercise. Yet, what good is all that if I consume 5000 calories over the weekend?!! Well, it’s good in that I maintain fitness but definitely not good to get me closer to my goal.

This morning as I was running, I started thinking about last week and realized that almost every day at some point I was a little bit hungry. I had a fairly busy week and distinctly recall sitting at my desk thinking that I didn’t even have time to stop and get my snack so I drank some water and ignored my little hungriness. The end result was that I had a very good weight loss. I expect that in order to keep moving towards my goal I am going to have to be mindful, even on the one day a week I eat whatever I want. I’m also going to have to let myself be a little hungry. Goodness knows I have enough extra body fat that it really does not hurt me to reach growling stomach hungry.

Oddly, this is something I already know yet can’t seem to get through my head. I am determined though to right my course and make the best of the rest of this week!

Why do YOU think it’s so hard to permanently learn these weight loss lessons?

12 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is JBS and I'm an emotional eater. Seriously. I think that's why for me. It's always going to be a problem I have.

    I did find that this morning was very difficult to begin my exercise. It wasn't just mental. I felt sluggish and dulled senses. All from having stupid fries for dinner Saturday and pancakes for dinner Sunday. What was I thinking!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so know what you mean - last week was such a sabotaging week for me. I got on the scale this morning and I am so not happy with myself. I don't have the answer to your question because obviously I haven't learned anything yet.
    Like you, exercising isn't an issue for me. But when I start moving in the right direction, I tend to spend a couple of days overeating. I have no idea why. I KNOW I will lose everything I gained this week so my weight loss will look good for one week but next week when it goes back to its normal SLOWNESS, I will go through an emotional up and down again.
    I think for me, the key is going to be measurements for now, and NO weighing. And like you mentioned, it's OK to be a little hungry and work through that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helen,
    I find it really interesting that you mention you were a little hungry all week and then 'splurged' a bit over the weekend. Do you think there is a connection? Rather than decide that you need to be a little bit hungry everyday - a very slippery slope and hard to maintain over the long run - why not eat more so that you are satisfied? Wouldn't this allow you to remain 'strong' so that you can make great choices?

    Please check out the following blog entry for some thoughts on this. It's very pertinent to your situation right now and I'd love to know your thoughts on this.

    http://bigbottomblogger.blogspot.com/

    By the way, not my blog - it's someone else's.

    Take care Helen and I hope you have a great week!You've really inspired me to keep a better record of what I'm eating!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I blame my parents! No, not really, that would be too easy!

    I blame myself for always thinking I deserve a reward for achieving whatever goal I have set. And that reward is alwys food! That reward needs to be changed to a non-food item! Years of programming need to be changed. I'm slowly getting there. My mind still goes to the decadent things I usually deny myself! (because I really don't need them!)

    Hope you have a great week!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Linda! For me, food equals love, food equals happiness, food equals comfort, reward, etc, etc, etc.

    This takes a LOOOOOONG time to change (if ever). The best we can do is recognize and re-direct when we are able. Or forgive & forget then move on.

    Happy Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I struggle with the same thing, Helen, and I am wondering whether it has something to do with the fact that once I reach a new low weight, my reaction is "Oh wow, I can't believe it!" instead of "Oh cool, this is who I really am!" I definitely need to let that new identity sink in a little more before I allow myself any splurges. Then progress in the right direction should come easily. Good luck for a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you. What's really frustrating is that I know exactly what I should do but do I do it? It's a form of self-sabotage, I'm pretty sure. If I ever conquer it, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had the answer to that question I'd be a millionaire!

    I agree that it's okay to have a growling stomach - twice last week I was hungry before going to bed and was like "why eat when you are just going to lie down!"

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait...Ben and Jerry's makes a chocolate macadamia nut ice cream??

    Focus, Jane! Focus!

    I know that I sometimes have a weight-loss success and feel like I should be able to "celebrate" with a treat I usually don't have. Growing up, celebrate=food, and that's a hard equation to give up. Someday, I know I will get to a place where my first-thought reward will NOT be a chocolate, but I'm definitely not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen your comments on many other blogs and am just now visiting your blog. Oh, how I can relate to this post. I too, have the exercise thing pretty well managed. And I am still working on the moderation thing with food. And my challenge are usually the weekends. Congratulations on hitting your lowest weight last week. I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. dude, If you are going to kill something a tub of ben and jerrys is darn tasty.
    Well. Lesson learned and back on program....let it go and move on. Don't dwell.
    Good job on the exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know why this is Helen, but if you figure it out, be sure and let me know! :-)

    ReplyDelete