Monday, March 8, 2010

Party Over Here! Party Over There!

Part 2 of the 50th Birthday Surprise went like this: 

Last Saturday when we were out to eat,  Mr. Helen told me that he had found a club about an hour away from where we live that had a 70's Disco night once a month.  He asked me to find a good 70's outfit to wear and told me we were going to have dinner and then dance the night away!  As I shared with you in Friday's post, I love to dance so I was excited! Last Sunday I went online and found something appropriate, ordered it, and was all set to leave my house by 6:00. Mr. Helen was SHOCKED and thrilled.   How do I look?


With the glasses on now, going out the door.

Just as we were leaving Mr. Helen's best friend called asking if we would meet him and his wife for a drink.  Best friend's wife is reserve military and was activated for the Haiti earthquake and we hadn't seen her for over a month. Mr. Helen explained our plans and said that we could stop quickly but wouldn't be able to stay.

We got to the establishment and SURPRISE! - it wasn't our friend and his wife -  it was 50 friends!!

Here we are coming in.  My head is down because I was still wearing dark glasses & was trying to see - still don't know what's happening. 
Then I saw these


A quick first dance mostly to calm my nerves

Suddenly I realized I had a surprise guest!

My beautiful daughter!!

There was lots and lots of fun, and of course, food.


There's one in every crowd.

Of course there was cake & gifts!

Yay for wine and martini glasses!
I think people have caught on that I like wine!

I've had so much fun in this last week, how could I not love being 50?!
(with my precious niece Gracie, who is only 3)

19 comments:

  1. Now that's what I'm talking about! What fun! And what a wonderful surprise to have your daughter there! She's beautiful! Just like her momma!

    Did we really dress like that in the 70's? lol!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a cool birthday party and you look gorgeous! I love the outfit. :)

    The cake picture, that looks like a glamor shot from that Glamour Shots studio. I have one almost exactly like that, same jeans jacket, same pose, same poofy hairstyle (I still miss the big hair). Too funny!

    I'm glad you had such a great day and really, 50 is just a number. You're living a good life and have good friends and a great husband. It doesn't really get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! What a cool surprise! Looks like a great time was had by everyone. I hope you have a spectacular 50th year.

    BTW: your right, your daughter is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome party! What fun and you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That is SOOO awesome that he did that for you! You are truly blessed. Those pictures rock and it looks like you all had a blast!

    Your daughter is beautiful just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really look great!
    REALLY great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look like one of the singers from Mamma Mia! Love it! What a wonderful "significant" birthday this turned out to me, Helen. See, I told you 50 is fabulous. And you look GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How incredibly fun! I have a disco outfit. Only it's real 70's and scary. Let's just say Zebra and rainbow. It's packed far far away at my parents house.

    I'm glad that you got to see your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You looks so beautiful!!!!!! You look more like 35 than 50! :D

    And your daughter is gorgeous - what an awesome time!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, what a wonderful surprise!!! I LOVE it!!! Your outfit is freaking awesome, and you strike the requisite 70s pose quite well, I might add. And having your daughter there?!? Wonderful! She is absolutely gorgeous, btw! Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, oh wow, oh WOW, what a GREAT surprise, Helen! Looks like you had so much fun - and how utterly cool to have your daughter there, too. Kudos to Mr Helen for thinking all of it up, especially for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coolest post (and coolest 50th birthday party) EVER! How fantastic. And....wow on that outfit! You rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great surprise and an inventive family...and holy crow with the outfit...did you have to buy it special or was it something you kept.
    I have a pic of my mom in a pair of leather bell bottoms and leather bra top from the sixties.
    I don't think I ever recovered from seeing it ....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    What a great looking time! Sorry my happy birthday wishes are late, I have been slacking on making the blog rounds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is so cool. What a fantastic party! You look so happy and I really appreciate the note to tell me to stop by. This is exciting.

    Love the outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just catching up on a lot of posts, and I'm sorry I missed your birthday to send my good wishes. I'm so glad you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there - great to read about your party! I'm 49 and counting down to 50. My blog is my way of coming to terms with the fact that I'm not young any more, and to connect with others like me who want to celebrate life, not fade away. Do pop on over and take a look if you get a minute - you're just the kind of fun-loving gal I need to give my readers hope!
    Much love, Jo

    ReplyDelete