Monday, March 1, 2010

A Very Good Thing

Took a break from the computer (for the most part) again this weekend.  Some of it is a time issue for sure as my weekends have been busier.

Did double classes at the dojo again on Saturday.  First my Biggest Loser class (my body fat is down 3%!!) and then a Thai Boxing class.  That eats up my Saturday morning for the most part.  Sometimes it's hard for me to just go with the flow like that.  Remember back when I wrote my 2010 Shooting for the Stars post?  Number 12: To be more open to flying by the seat of my pants and not so rigid about planning every little thing.   I have a "usual" schedule and when I do those double classes my schedule goes to hell in a handbasket. Hard for me to do, even when I'm doing something good for myself.

Most Saturday afternoons and evenings Mr. Helen and I make a concerted effort to spend that time together.  It's too easy for regular life to get in the way and the older we get we are appreciating that dates are important.  We belong a wine club at our local winery called The Grape Nuts.  We get a shipment of bottles 3 times a year but since we're local we always take the drive and pick it up.  It's a beautiful winery and the tasting room is really nice too.  This time of year they usually have the fireplace going.   So we went up Saturday and decided to do a tasting while we were there.  Afterwards, (again on the spur of the moment!) we stopped for an early bite to eat.  One of my favorite local restaurants that has two menus:  one of tapas and the other of full dinners.  Another beautiful room with a fireplace.  It was a very lovely afternoon and evening - the kind that lingers in your memory.  Plus, I made an important discovery in the process.  Yay for self discovery!

Saturday evenings, out to dinner, tend to be my splurge time. I have no problem with that, for me it is an issue of fully participating in LIFE.  Good food, good friends, good fellowship are all a part of this process.  So, I ordered exactly what I wanted from the menu:  a 3 piece garlic shrimp cocktail, a New York Strip Steak with Chipotle Mashed Potatoes and Garlic Sauteed Broccoli.  Yum.  We were dining - enjoying our food and each other's company - not just shoving something down to eat, you know?  I was about halfway through my food when I realized I was starting to feel full.  So, I pushed my plate aside.  The longer I sat, the realization came to me that I really did not need to eat any more, that I was satisfied.  When the server came around I asked her to wrap the rest of my food up.  Mr. Helen always wants dessert so we ordered coffee and dessert spring rolls that were stuffed with mango and banana and drizzled with chocolate.  When they came, I ate only one (and I looked for the smallest one).  Arriving home I was putting my take away container in the fridge and I realized that new habits are taking hold of me and that even my splurge is no longer what it used to be. 

My fullness and satisfaction came from the beauty of the whole day and not just the food.  What a great revelation.  A very good thing.

11 comments:

  1. That is a Very Good Thing! I'm glad that you had a fun spontaneous weekend, and that you learned that your new habits are sinking in deeper than you knew. Congrats Helen, it is hard earned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely weekend Helen. It sounds so nice and perfect after a morning of kicking your butt! This a lifestyle afterall and it is all about creating good sustaining habits we can keep for the rest of our life. You are well on the way!
    And thanks for the comment this morning, I didn't sleep well last night so I'm out of sorts today and your comment has left me with a lasting smile. And I'll look for that book - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. It's great seeing these changes manifest in such a tangible way in our lives. Congrats on the realization that you are a transformed person! Congrats on your weight loss this week too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's wonderful Helen. I agree. You are enjoying life. Living in that moment and savoring your surroundings and food. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a saturday. Also, great job in knowing when you were full. That's major in my book. Sometimes I enjoy the food so much that I continue eating making myself miserable.

    Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your revelation about being full from everything and not just the food. That is very cool.

    Also I could use some of those chipotle mashed potatoes and the broccoli. They sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounded like a very nice weekend! Here's to many more just like that!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, the joys of living a Portion Controlled life!!!! Ain't it grand! We really CAN have our cake, and eat ( a bit of) it! Kudos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic sounding weekend Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your self-discovery - restaurant meals ARE possible while on a diet as long as you do what you did. Glad you enjoyed your meal so much!

    BTW, very nice on the body fat going down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really sounds like a beautiful day and evening. You are indeed blessed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, Helen, these realizations are what makes the journey worth it! There is something infinitely pleasing to eating, being aware of the food, and stopping when you've had enough, really being *satisfied* in a physical and emotional sense.

    I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete