Friday, March 26, 2010

You Gotta Know When to Hold 'Em...

One thing I've learned over these three years of battling my thyroid is that if I have a disappointing setback (like Wednesday at the doctor's office), I need to take good care and be very kind and gentle with myself.

I know this will sound odd, but to me that means not being so strident about everything.  You see, I plan and execute my program at a level of unforgiving stidency that would make most people crazy.  It works for me though as I really am a person who responds well to rules. 

Over the last 2 days, I have laid the "rules" down.  For example, no food tracking.  Just trying to eat good food in reasonable portions.  At Thai Boxing last night I was 20 minutes into the second class when I realized that all I wanted to do was go home, take a shower and have a glass of Chardonnay.  So, I went to my sensei (who happened to be Mr. Helen) and said that. Then I left.  That one glass of Chardonnay tasted like the gods nectar to me.  Then this morning, no weigh in.  I've been beat up enough by scales this week.

Believe it or not, doing this helps me calm down and refocus and WANT to get back to my program.  Knowing when to hold 'em and knowing when to fold 'em keeps me sane and has helped me get through 3 pretty tough years.

While I drank that glass of wine I watched an episode of Ugly Betty that I had taped.  In this particular episode Betty (who is somewhat of the family nerd, a wee bit of an ugly duckling) was saying something to her sister about not being pretty enough and good enough and her sister (who is a va va va voom bombshell) looked at her and said:

"Somehow you've gotten it in your head that this is your story.  It's time to come up with a whole new story for yourself."

That's me right now.  Though my thyroid is a reason why I won't lose weight as fast as others, I will not let it be an excuse.   That's what I've been doing for the last 3 years - coming up with a whole new story for myself.

How about you?  What's your story?

13 comments:

  1. I completely agree. After a week with emotional stress, I too find it best to just cool things down and relax. MrsFatass, Roni, and You all have posts today about pulling back, calming down and recentering.

    I took Monday off exercise because I'd just been traveling and needed a break. I've been trying to make up for it. Bad idea. This morning I was just too tired and didn't exercise again. I think it's wisest to listen instead of berate ourselves. Great job Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that's what I've been trying to come up with since my meeting with my Nutritionist on Monday. What's my story? I hope to figure it out soon.
    Excellent post Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really good. Sometimes you really do need to "hold 'em".
    That is something I have gradually accepted. I used to be an all or nothing kinda gal when it came to weight loss, hence the epic *fail* I always had in that area until I started to get it.
    Sometimes I need to take a minute and re-group, re-focus and come back out swinging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you listened to yourself and that your sensei let you go...does this mean no "burpee-to-burnout"?

    What's my story...hmmm, now you've made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely know what you mean, and good for you, for following your gut instincts. Its pretty brave to bag a class in the middle of it (ive done it plenty, and got the weirdest or meanest looks) and tell the truth about why you are leaving (normally I make up excuses-thats why Im applauding you now...I also leave and then feel guilty, so you are my role model for this week).

    Thanks to JBS for pointing me in your direction, I really enjoy your blog!

    Kelly
    imaskinnymini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, Helen, BAM, you got me!

    I just watched this episode of Ugly Betty an hour ago, and was so struck by what her sister said. And here I read it again in your post.

    I am literally dizzy from the impact.

    Agreed, needing to be soft to yourself is important. I read somewhere that (in the case of Hashimoto's which is what I've got) continual stress drives the body into a defensive position so it starts attacking everything, including itself. In my case, yes, that's true. Sitting back a bit and just breathing is absolutely essential. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, love this post. :)

    That whole, write a new story for yourself, is something my old Weight Watcher leader use to tell us. He'd just because you've always been overweight your whole life doesn't mean you will be for the rest of your life. It's time to re-write your story.

    Anyway, you are a very smart lady.

    Funny thing, I put my scale away this week. The first time in my entire life. I have weighed every day for almost 40 years. This week I said to hell with it. It makes me grouchy. Stayed on program but didn't weigh every day. Great minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. As you know, I'm in the process of rewriting my own story; it's not easy, but it's worth the effort. YOU are worth the effort, don't forget that.

    Hope you enjoyed the change-up to your routine. We all need that sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! What a great new story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post Helen! And I am with you on relaxing with the wine! Now if I could just stop at one! :D

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my story....my new story.
    I am no longer a victim..I'm a pit viper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post - no food tracking - i hate when i am told to write down everything i eat - it is helpful, i know, but i hate it.

    ReplyDelete