Thursday, April 8, 2010

Be Inspired to Make the Right Choice!

Early this morning, I read The Daily Diary of A Winning Loser. A lot of us in blogland follow Sean Anderson. He’s inspirational. He has been at this for over a year now and I’ve lost track of how much weight he’s lost but it’s over 200 pounds. Not only is his weight loss Ah-Maz-Ing but his writing is pretty good too. He often goes back to last year’s post and re-reads it and then puts a snippet in his current blog. His Day 570 post  had a sentence somewhere in the middle that hit me right between the eyes:

I know that thyroid conditions can hamper weight loss, as can certain medications. All I can say is, hang in there, don't give up, and consult your doctor. If on the other hand, you know you haven't done everything you could have so far, then whatever you do from this point forward, don't beat yourself up! Put it behind you and move forward. Have a long talk with yourself, re-evaluate your motivating thoughts, assess your self-honesty, and most importantly---Do not make things difficult.

As a thyroid patient I have worked hard to not let that be an excuse. But – and there’s always a “but” isn’t there, because it sometimes takes me sooooo long to get weight off, 3 years in it has become easier to slack a little here or there. Not beating myself up is something I need to work on - hard.

I need to make a choice that I want to and WILL move forward!

I need to make the choice that it’s not okay to be “only” 25 or 30 pounds from my goal.

I need to make the choice that me being the healthiest I can be is worth giving up that little extra dab of food.

I need to make the choice that nothing else can get in the way of me making my goal.

Perhaps, if I make these choices I can be done by the end of this year – or at least close to it. Not to say that it won't be hard, because it just is with the thyroid crap.  But, at least I won't be making it more difficult than necessary.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Helen,
    Check out Greta's blog today. An interesting experiment that she is going to do and we get to watch. I am very curious if her new style of eating is going to work.

    I know you'll make it to wherever you want to be Helen. You are so determined and you inspire me. Best wishes and I will continue to cheer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean's blog is pretty inspirational. I enjoy it too.
    Keep those bullet points somewhere that you can see them and keep saying them to yourself. I'm convinced that aside from any medical issues, most of this weight loss business is in our heads. I know I am my own worst enemy!
    I also know you can do it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I really needed to read his blog AND your today. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Sean this morning too, and thought of you! Just his whole attitude about pressing on and not giving up was so helpful. Also how even showing up at the scale is an indication of not giving up.

    BTW, thanks for the book recommendation - I remember when you talked about it before. It's on my list and I'm going to try and get it today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to read his blog as soon as I send this comment. I just wanted to say that I'm not a thyroid patient but I am very discouraged about my eating habits...the little snippet you posted and your follow-up comments were just what I needed today. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen,

    It thrills me that it meant something powerful to you today.
    We're in the same spot really...25, maybe 30 from goal...it's a very comfortable place isn't it? But we must rise above that comfort level if we truly want what we say we want. I don't know about you, but I refuse to get this close and then not make it all the way. Do I like ok? Sure, clothed...and I would be fine if I never lost another pound...But the mirror shows me everything...and my mind constantly reminds me that I have the power to choose the path...I can make this journey go exactly where I want it to go...But for me, and perhaps you---It's getting back into the same mindset, that same urgency that was constantly on the surface back in the beginning. There wasn't time to waste---it was good choices everyday. period. Death was knocking---and we were sneaking out the back door and running for our lives! I know for me...if I'm ever going to get to where I really want to be, my ultimate fitness goals--I have to commit with everything, just like back then.

    I know you can too...and we'll both celebrate at goal someday in the near future!

    Your thyroid issue is a very real circumstance---and I have much admiration for how you've overcome what so many allow to completely keep them from even trying. You're an amazing inspiration.

    You're awesome my friend,

    My best always
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean has done a great job with his weight loss! Thanks for sharing from his post and you have dealt with a very real medicial condition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so get the slacking due to the length of time you've been losing weight...I'm coming up on 2 years and it's crazy for me to be so close and yet not done. Nice to know I have a comrade in this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have made my day by allowing Name/URL! :-)

    ReplyDelete