Thursday, April 29, 2010

Four O'Clock in the Morning

On Thursday evenings, I try to take double Thai Boxing classes.  It's 1 hour and 45 minutes of pretty hard exercise so I generally "sleep in" to around 5:45 then get up and get ready for work.  I had one of those unplanned, mid-life hormone caused, wake ups at 4 this morning.  I really did try to go back to sleep but just couldn't so I got out of bed at 4:30 and decided to dress for a walk.  It has been really windy here the last couple of days but the wind hadn't picked up yet so I headed out the door by 5:15 (gotta have my coffee!).  When I got outside, dawn was breaking and it was truly gorgeous, if a bit chilly.  I felt completely energized and decided to woggle, which is my version of something that isn't quite a jog but is a teeny bit faster than a walk.  Imagine my shock when I got home and saw I had done 3.35 miles at a 12:30 pace.  Sheesh!  Sometimes my 'runs' are only about a minute/mile faster than that.  I think I shoulda been a speed walker! 

Anyway, complete YAY for unplanned exercise!

I've been thinking about my eating plan and have decided once I get past the next two weekend eating events I am going to track my "splurge" day and keep my calories around 1800.  Something's gotta give if I want to make my pound per week goal by July 17th. I only eat around 1400 calories a day now so I can't imagine cutting that down, say to 1000 or 1200 as I have suggested to me, especially with the amount of exercise I do.

The eating event coming up this weekend is my 18th wedding anniversary.  There is a very expensive but delicious steakhouse that Mr. Helen has been wanting to go to, ever since we went to the one in Washington DC in 2008 after my marathon. It's a fancy, schmancy adult a la carte sort of place, perfect for an anniversary.  Because it's around an hours drive, I made us a reservation at a hotel so we don't have to drive home, and a reservation at The Capital Grille for a late dinner.  He is going to be completely surprised.  I think after the events of the past couple of weeks this will be just what the doctor ordered.

14 comments:

  1. I think that your dinner date will be fantastic. Just what both of you need! Hey...thanks for your super sweet comment on my blog! Wait...I didn't know that you completed a marathon??!?! Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big YAY! for you! I've noticed my walking is sometimes just barly slower than my running too! I think that's a good thing though. It's a good workout! I'm going to put out my $.02 here-I dont' think you eat enough! If 1400 is your daily goal and you exercise as much as you do, you might be forcing your body to hold on to the weight. Even though I am slow losing, I have increased my protein and am still losing and I don't work out nearly as much as you do. Just a thought. I know you know your body best.
    And what a treat for you and Mr Helen! A nice weekend away! Then your daughter will be arriving! Good things in store!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how exciting about a special night out - that's so fantastic. Just what the Doctor ordered I think. You two deserve a night on the town - enjoy it and don't worry about ANYTHING.

    And great on that early morning walk. I just love them when the sun is coming up. I guess that is what I miss the most since I got my truck and now drive to work (except snow days like today). I used to walk the 2 miles to the train station in the mornings and the sun would just be coming up and it was so refreshing. Great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snaps for the great exercise this morning. The anniversary weekend sounds really lovely, complete with a romantic hotel stay! Enjoy every minute of it.

    And good idea about the splurge day. Good way to have a day each week to look forward to a loosening of the "rules" for a day that is still reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo-Hoo for you. For the walk and for the anniversary trip. Congrats. I don't know what to say with your thyroid condition and your calories. I can't imagine 1,000 to 1200 calories being good for you.

    Keep up the good work. You are really an inspiration. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary! It sounds like you have a nice celebration planned.

    Good luck with your goal for losing 1 pound a week. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your celebration sounds wonderful! Go and have a fabulous time. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang, woman - you sure are a fast wogger! Nice work getting such a good workout in so early in the day!

    Your anniversary celebration sounds like it will be so nice and Mr. Helen will be surprised - nice of you to plan such a lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happened to wonder over here from another blog and thought I would check things out. Like what I see so now I'm following you. Look forward to reading your blog in the future.

    If you get a chance swing by my blog and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really don't know.
    I am holding on to weight right now for no particular reason.
    It's irritating.
    Hope you drop that pound soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Early Anniversary!! You will love Capital Grille - we have one in Chicago - and yes, everything is ala carte, but if you know that going in, you won't be shocked by the bill!

    I agree with the 1800 and plan to join you - my plan starts on May 1 - and you will be proud, I've only had three glasses of wine since Friday night! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. That must have been some crazy person, 1000 calories. I shutter to think.

    And awesome woggle time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Steakhouse steak and a huge salad...that is my kind of celebration. Enjoy..and happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fabulous way to celebrate!!! Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete