Monday, April 26, 2010

Highs and Lows

We had a great long weekend even though, for the most part, it was a working weekend.

The family room is 99% done.  The 1% that isn't finished has nothing to do with the room itself, it has to do with me deciding we need to de-crap the area.  So I have 3 more totes to go through and purge and it will be 100% done. It was so nice having the new pickup because we even were able to get some of the garage cleaned out and make a dump run.  The old family room carpet went down on the garage floor - it actually looks a little fancy in there now.

My daughter contacted us over the weekend to say she has decided she wants to make her first trip home in her new car in a couple weeks.  One of her cousins is having a housewarming, plus it's Mr. Helen's birthday and Mother's Day.  It will be so much fun to have her here for all the festivities!

I'm loving my new "no tracking using old trackers" plan.  Every day I go to my notebook and find whatever we're having for dinner in there and then use that page.  Back in 2007, I even tracked my splurge days so I can even do that if I feel so inclined.  It really has helped my attitude about it all.

We celebrated my mother's 71st birthday yesterday by going to a seafood buffet. It was yummy.  This was a particularly important celebration because her birthday dinner last year was the last time we were with my brother-in-law before his sudden death 3 days later.  Mom didn't want to do anything but I insisted.  Gary would have wanted us too, he would want us to move on.  I told her that it was important for us to realize that we could celebrate HER and that we'd survive and still be breathing when all was said and done.  It turned out to be a wonderful get together and my sister did just great.

I'm sure by now you're wondering about the low.  Unfortunately, our weekend ended with some really awful news. Mr. Helen's sister, who is the same age I am and lives in Michigan probably has less than a few months to live. She has been battling ovarian cancer since 2002 - and winning the battle.  Then right before Christmas her bloodwork started showing bad numbers and low platelets so she started having transfusions. In February she started having to be transfused many days of the week so more testing was done. Her diagnosis is that she has chemo-induced leukemia. They've decided there's nothing to be done as she is not strong enough for a bone marrow transplant.  Even though she has lived in Michigan for 25 years, she wants to come home to die. I'm hoping that she doesn't get so sick that she's unable to travel. I think Mr. Helen is going to fly out and drive her back. He is beside himself at the thought of losing his little sister and goes back and forth between tears and anger. It's just so sad.

I know that we will get through this too.  Some how, some way.  I'm always amazed at the resiliency of the human spirit.  The one good thing about being in the valley, is that once you get through, there's a mountain top waiting.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Helen, I am so sorry to hear about your Sister in Law - that truly sucks!

    Glad to read your plan is working too. I think that is what I'm going to do when I come back from vacation in May. Work the plan, and then follow it. I don't want to count calories but I've got to get something inline as I'm no where near where I should be right now.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. Ovarian cancer is really tough, and to have beaten it back and then have the secondary cancer is brutal.

    I love that you're getting help from your old food logs. I'm saving everything I write now too, and even using the same pictures of frequent repeat foods to simplify the process. While the pic taking is fun, then uploading every night is time consuming and it makes sense to use the "stock photos". And I wish you did live closer because I'd love to share the peppers with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to here about your SIL. My thoughts go to your family right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. You have really been through so much this past year. You have managed to keep fighting through it all. Very inspirational.
    What a fun time you will have with your daughter in town! Those are the times that make everything so worthwhile!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I just started tearing up. I can't imagine. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessings and Strength to your family!! CANCER SUCKS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are exactly right about the valleys and mountain tops! Please know that I will be praying for your family. As a matter of fact:

    God, I pray that this sweet family would be comforted during this difficult time. I pray that You would shower them with your love. God provide them with Your peace that surpasses all of our understanding. During this time, I pray that this family clings to the cross and the truth and restoration that ONLY IT can bring. We love you and thank you who you are. In Your precious name that I pray. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame about your SIL. Prayers for her and the family as you all get through this together.

    So glad you have a working plan that is making things easier to stay on track. I bet you are very happy that you kept that journal!

    I journal my daily food and I find it helps me to stay on track. Nothing like seeing it in black and white to make it real!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to read about Mr. Helen's sister. Ovarian is a bitch of a cancer. Actually I have not met a cancer that's not a bitch. I was dx with uterine. And chemo, what fun. I had no idea you could get chemo-induced leukemia. I am so sorry for this suffering. Sad for you all.

    (plus I forgot to mail the book and now I am reminded).
    Please know that I am thinking of you and your sister in law. I'm glad she's coming home. That is a good place to be when/if you have to die.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful highs, but oh, what a low. So sorry about your SIL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an emotional weekend! I am really sorry to hear about your SIL. Your family is in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a tough pill to swallow. I think you said it best, it sure was a weekend of highs and lows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Helen,
    I am so very sorry and send my deepest sympathies to you and your family. Loss and grief are difficult emotions and very draining. I wish you strength and love at this time Helen.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
    _____________________________

    Photography Dissertation

    ReplyDelete