Friday, April 16, 2010

Recovery

There is a lot of truth in the statement that it's not how bad you screw up, it's about how well you recover.  It's true in sports, it's true on your job, it's true in life, it's true in general.  But it's really true in our weight loss journey.

My recovery both in my life - with the flooded family room and all - and in my journey to my best me has been going well this week.  (Except for that dinner debacle on Wednesday.... shhhhh, I don't want it to hear me and bite me in the butt.)  I got proof when I stepped on the scale this morning:




I couldn't seem to get a photo without the glare this morning but the number is 178 and that's 2.8 pounds down since last week As Katie J. said in one of her recent weigh in posts, I wish it wasn't weight I've lost before but ahhh well, let's just keep moving on.

I got my exercise back on track this week as well.  Even did double Thai Boxing classes last night (that means I workout out for an hour and 45 minutes!) then got up this morning and had a lovely 5 mile run.  Yes, I'd say I'm in full recovery mode.
Speaking of the Wednesday debacle, Shelley asked me if the mini burgers were cooked in butter. I don’t know, but they did have a smear of Pimiento Cheese on them and I mean a smear. Believe me Shelley, I was shocked to find they were 880 calories/58 g fat because the two of them together weren’t any bigger than a normal sized cheeseburger.  Did you know that a  McDonald’s cheeseburger only has 300 calories/12g fat? Once I did get around to looking at the nutrition facts Ruby Tuesday's, regular size burgers run anywhere from 1200-1500 calories - so I guess I still did better by choosing the minis. Sheesh!

I am looking forward to the weekend.  Hopefully we will be able to finish the recovery efforts in our home and really be settled back in.

I hope all of you are continuing in your recovery efforts whatever and whereever they may be!

12 comments:

  1. Way to beat that meal back into submission! I'd lop off a foot to have lost 2.8 pounds this week. (but would I have not eaten the Pasta Puttanesca and peppermint patties?)

    BTW, you have good feet. Been meaning to tell you that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 2.8 - you are doing so great! And that's proof that one meal will not kill your weight-loss efforts!

    We don't have Ruby Tuesdays around here, but I used to eat at them quite often when we lived in California. I can't imagine how many calories I ingested, but no wonder I was fat!

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you!! Love that "it's how well you recover" quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the recovery of your stressful month. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! How fantastic. Recovery is what separates those of us that finish this and those of us that don't. I know I never had good recovery strategies before and it showed it being heavy for 20 years. I'm glad to see yours are in fine form.

    Onward and downwards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought of your blog this morning when I was on my run, that being at 8:30 as opposed to the much earlier hour you talk about running.
    Great job on the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew! I'm glad to hear about your recovery. I'm struggling to stay on recovery's path. Good to read about yours. Thanks for so much encouragement, thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the loss! And getting back into your workout groove!
    I hope the rest of the recovery efforts go well!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey that is a great weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats and nice weight loss Helen! I think I am going to start taking pics of the number on the scale, like you do. Somehow it seems to make me feel more 'accountable' and motivated to have the number up there on my blog each week for all the world to see. kind of like weigh in day at Weight Watchers - face the music.

    sounds like you've got your mojo back. have a fantastic weekend!

    di

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again, you are spot on! I have always loved the quote--"Success is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall". So glad you are back on track. Congrats on the loss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Almost a 3 pound loss: very nice!

    I've experienced enough tail spins to agree with how important recovering from a bad meal day is. In fact, I have some "recovering" to do from today. Doh.

    ReplyDelete