Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Salad Bar Blew Up in My Face

You know I am a planner.  It's good for me though because it helps me feel in control, especially during times like these last few weeks where everything feels out of whack.

Last night when I arrived home, Mr. Helen was doing yet more research on the pickup he wants to buy.  He had gone after work to look at one but was disappointed in the quality of the interior and had realized that he may have to give up some more Benjamins in order to get what he really wants.  Cha-Ching!

Generally he has my nephew every Wednesday but because of the car business he didn't, so he suggested, spur of the moment, that we go grab a bite to eat.  Since it was his idea, I let him pick and he picked Ruby Tuesdays - a chain.  Normally we tend to stay away from the chains and would support a local restaurant but he'd made up his mind he wanted one of their burgers so that was that.  Usually, I would get online and look up the food and nutrition facts, etc. but it was already late and he was ready to go so I decided to try and wing it.  Harder with this restaurant because we don't go there much but I figured I could do it.

Here comes disaster.  We get there and sit down and I wander off to look at the salad bar that I'd seen coming in.  When I get back, my sweetie had ordered me a Cosmopolitan because they were having a $5 special on them and he knows I love them.  OK there's a couple hundred calories. Hmmm, I really should get the salad bar so I can control what I eat.... but I want meat.... oh they have mini burgers (sliders) and there's only 2 of them and it comes with a choice of a soup or the salad bar!  And I now want a burger too because I've read the descriptions of all of them.  OK mini burger and salad bar.

Faithful followers, I am sorry to report that not only did I eat the mini burgers, I did not see that they came with fries and I ate those too and I lost it with the salad bar.  Are you kidding me?  Well crap.

When I had gone to glance at the salad bar I was thinking there were lots of fresh veggies and they had some light and vinaigrette dressings.  And I glanced only.  By the time I got up there, Mr. Helen had asked me to get a big salad so we could share - good he wants veggies - but could we puhleeze have blue cheese dressing?  Sigh.  Then when I got to the end I noticed they also had 3 kinds of pasta salad, 2 potato salads, cottage cheese, a creamy broccoli salad with craisins, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.    Until I saw that stuff, I had forgotten how much I l-o-v-e it.  Besides, I had a green salad with chicken for lunch, right?

Oh friends, how we justify our wanderings!  Sad to say, this morning I went and got the nutrition facts for what I ate:  200 calories for the Cosmo!!! 880 calories for the mini burgers!!  185 calories for the french fries on the side!!  And, I can only estimate around 500 for the salad bar - I figured 100 for the main green salad with the blue cheese dressing (because I ate less than half of it) and another 400 for the cottage cheese, pasta salad and potato salad. A whole days worth of calories in one meal!!

Of course, to top it all off, I woke up starving this morning, which is what always happens if I overeat at night.  A rumbling tummy when really all I want to do is just forget food today to make up for my 1765 dinner debacle.  Thankfully, I had only eaten beautifully prior to this so my total calories for the day came to 2539. 

They say confession is good for the soul, so please feel free to use the comments section to confess your worst or most recent food debacle.  If not, perhaps you'd like to read another one.  Biz had the same sort of thing last night and wrote about it today.  Although looking at her blog, I wish I'd had her food!

15 comments:

  1. Been there, done that, too many times! It's part of the reason I really don't like to eat out. Especially if I am unfamiliar with the menu or it's a spur of the minute decision(by someone else). It makes me feel like I've lost control of my day! Can you say "control freak"? You had the "might as wells". I get that too. I hate getting that! All it takes for me is 1 bad choice, not even a "bad" choice but a questionable choice and all hell breaks loose. Perhaps you can look up a restaurant's menu on your phone on the way over if you are pressed for time?
    Here's to a better day today!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! I love your blog! Girl...crazy nights must have been the name of last nights game. I teach divorce care for kids at church....weeeeelllll...it was their last night. So the other teacher brought Fatz chicken fingers with honey mustard and cupcakes. DISASTER....TOTALLY DISASTER. After that horrible meal...I did an hour of cardio to attempt to get it out of my system. UGH...dumb decisions that we make. By the way...I am 5'8! Thanks for you sweet comment mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how you wake up hungry if you overeat the night before.
    When they bring me things that I don't want to eat, I tell the wait/person to please just take it. And sometimes, I have them box up half a portion and only serve half.
    And sometimes I eat it all and wish I hadn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah---My Cracker Barrell meltdown a couple of months ago was horrible! I went in with a plan and a determination to beat this place---and it kicked me silly. Who knew those tasty little corn muffins were so calorie dense??
    It wasn't the end of the world for me---and you already know it isn't for you either.

    Nice post my friend,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate it when stuff like that happens. You have to dust yourself off and make today a great day.

    I have been having microwave popcorn after dinner even though I am not hungry. It is extra salt and calories that I don't need and then it makes me feel bloated the next morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I've had 2500+ calories in a binge alone. But yeah, it feels like crap. Thanks for the honesty. I always say it helps to know I'm not the only one these things happen to on occasion.

    This maybe the wrong thing to say, but it sounds like you got a lot of good decadent stuff taken care of in that meal, and you'll be that much more able to rein it back in now. It is so over, Helen! I know you'll be having a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently gave in to my old weakness, Burger King...It's crazy how those old urges can come back to haunt us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too had a crappy night and it was so insane. I just got too hungry: I started out slow with a healthy snack and ballooned into everything in the kitchen. I applaud your listing your eats, I may as well, huh? Left overs, kids snacks, took a dessert out of the freezer. I am committing to a healthy day today. I do NOT need to begin a string of these. And, my husband is going out of town tonight, makes it more slippery, so the more I write about it, the safer it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot believe those mini burgers were almost 900 calories...what, were they cooked in butter?!?

    Just think of yesterday as your "high" day in calorie cycling. :)

    My latest food debacle? Kashi Go Lean Crunch BERRY cereal. Do not buy. It's like crack. Seriously! I measured out a quarter cup, and then another quarter cup, and then another...think I stopped at about a cup, but what the hell, Shelley?!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking of my sister Biz when I started reading your post. Why are the mini burgers so much calories? You would think that was a better choice (or at least I would think so!)

    Shake it off, its a new day and you had a nice time, so don't worry about it!

    The problem is when you aren't aware of the calorie factor, people do that EVERY day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great job being accountable!

    and darn but this post makes me want to confess something to....

    ...Its possible that I sat and ate graham crackers out of the box for dinner last night...FAIL. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wasn't rubbin :) I was just proud of myself for a change. Normally YOU are the good one, and I normally do exactly what you did last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I already commented, by the way, I love the title "the salad bar blew up in my face", but I need to again. I've had some down time at work today and spent most of it reading your entire blog! Wow! So much great stuff, so much that resonates. So sorry about such big losses. I can relate to the running, I ran my first half marathon (maybe my only?) last month. I am a new blogger and REALLY related to the part about not telling people about it. I don't want my family of origin to see it, I prefer for my husband not to see it. I did share it with two friends, but I get it, what you were saying.
    Anyhow, I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear about this. You know though, it happens, to all of us. Just pick up the pieces and get back at it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 15 cookies. I'm writing about it tomorrow. Not. Good. At. All.

    1125 calories. And it wasn't a meal.

    ReplyDelete