Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Taking A Minute

First to say thank you to all of your thoughts and well wishes and prayers concerning my sister-in-law.  You guys are the best.

I don't want to be a downer and I hope you won't take it this way but I wanted to take a minute to honor my brother-in-law.  On April 28, 2009  (which was a Tuesday and why I'm thinking about this today) at 2:30 in the afternoon while sitting at my desk at work, I got the phone call that changed our family dynamic forever.  It was my 33 year old baby sister crying and choking so hard I could barely understand her... I could hear sirens so I started screaming "What's wrong?! What's wrong?!"  She choked out "Gary, hurt on the excavator, come to the hospital, please.  I need you."  With distance and traffic and school busses, it took me 30 minutes to get there.  By the time I arrived, he was gone.  Actually, he was probably gone at the house but when the paramedics got him untangled from the excavator and the tree his color came back and it seemed that he took a breath.  So there was hope on that ambulance ride.  Taken away once at the hospital.

I have no understanding of these things, I just have to believe that for whatever reason, it was meant to be this way.

Gary was a wonderful family man and provider.  He was the sort of guy who planned and executed. When he graduated from high school he knew he wanted to be an airline pilot so all of his education went towards that goal.  At the time of his death he was a pilot for UPS.  His propensity for planning was the gift that keeps giving as he left my sister well taken care of financially.  However, it sometimes got in his way as my long suffering sister dated him for 7 years while he put his life plan into action.  Funny thing, about a month after they got married, he came home from work and found her waiting and said, "Why I ever waited so long to marry you, I'll never know - this is the best thing ever!"  In all they had almost 14 years together but I'm most glad they had almost 7 years of marriage  because their love gave us Jacob and Grace (here with my sister).


So today, even though the "official" anniversary is tomorrow, at 2:30 I will observe a moment of silence and prayer and remember Gary, thankful for who he was and what he gave to our family.

In Loving Memory
Gary L. Peil
8/11/69-4/28/09

Beloved Brother-in-Law and Friend
Never Forgotten, Always Loved


12 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, you absolutely have to remember him! Not just today and tomorrow but everyday! Especially for his kids.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm crying Helen! Very lovely honoring post.

    (This has to be my shortes comment yet - I'm speechless today)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings and Strength to you, your sister and family at this difficult time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate you sharing this story! Your family will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. He looks like a total sweetheart. They are a beautiful family and must miss him terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tribute to a man gone too soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely tribute to him. He lives on in everyones heart. Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. I'm so glad you posted this. I'm also glad that he left your sister well provided for. I'm praying for you, your sister and those beautiful kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tribute Helen and what a blessing he must have been to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sad story, but a great tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so touching...thank you for sharing that, you can tell how difficult that must have been.

    ReplyDelete