Friday, April 23, 2010

Victory!

Boy oh boy did I want to eat everything in sight yesterday.  I was just flat out having a hungry day.  When I'm at work I find that easy to control because what I have there is what I can eat.  Once I'm home, different story.

I left work early so we could go get the new vehicle.  Believe it or not this is the very first brand new vehicle Mr. Helen has ever owned.  Whenever we've purchased a new car before, it was always mine.  Let me tell you he was like a kid in a candy store, a boy with a new toy!  His excitement was contagious.


Anyhoo, we went straight from that to Muay Thai class.  Sometimes I do a double on Thursday but with all the excitement and rushing around I didn't feel I had the energy so I came home.  Mr. Helen is the Sensei so he had to stay to teach the rest of the evening.

The minute I got in the car to drive home I could feel my thoughts wandering towards food.  Mind you, I'm certain it was because I WAS hungry.  Some of it, I'm sure was also because I was tired.  By the time I got home I was in a "to hell with it" mood and thinking about the wine and chips and cheese and all sorts of things that were not in my food plan.  I went so far as to put a wine glass in the freezer to chill while I took my shower.

After cleaning up I came downstairs and opened the fridge and immediately had the thought that I could eat whatever and no one would know - because Mr. Helen wasn't home.  OOOOOOOHHHHHH that's closet eating!  Bad, Bad, BAD Helen!!

I reached into the freezer, took the wine glass out and put it away.  Then I stood in my kitchen preparing my planned meal and talking out loud about how I wasn't going to have a First Round Knockout in my Fight to the Finish! People, I am telling you I literally talked myself out of sabotage!  Of course, once I ate I calmed right down and was fine.

I'm off today.  I've already had a glorious 50 minute run this morning and I'm getting ready to begin the process of finishing putting my family room back together.  It will be so nice to have things settled.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Don't forget that it's OK to use sheer willpower to win your fights.  Eventually as you win each battle, the war will be yours!

15 comments:

  1. Great job putting off the "snacks" long enough to know you didn't really want to go that way! So key - waiting and doing something else for a little while. Sure worked great for you and is a good object lesson for all of us. Enjoy your 3 day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love today's post! Thank you for the reminder that it's important to believe that we can conquer something by our talking through it and stickin to our guns! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your self control is impressive! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won! And even took a victory lap (or several)!

    I have problems with food at home, too, for the same reason. There are a lot less choices at work, since I bring my own food. Home is a giant buffet.

    Nice show of willpower, preventing the at home "graze."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, Helen - looks like both of us were fighting off temptation last night...go us!!! :)

    That truck is a beauty, and Mr. Helen's smile really says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! It was a victory! Good for you! Have a great weekend! Enjoy your new toy!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did great talking yourself out of eating! When I get overly tired I always think I am hungry or at least I want to soothe myself with food.

    Bravo to you for doing so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so familiar with the "to hell with it" ( I often use a stronger word, but I shan't go there). Hearing how you fought it off was very inspirational for me. And, the idea of closet eating, I didn't know there was anything else.
    Enjoy the new wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG what a kickass post!!! I love this and am so inspired by your willpower. AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah, willpower is sometimes all that we have to get through a bad day...What I was referring to was ignoring issues and then attempting to get through a bad life or an unexamined life by powering through...because you won't know all the time where it's coming from and may even convince yourself that eating that food was the RIGHT thing to do...some mental jujitsu I have managed in the past. I am glad you pulled through that. I do that when I go too long between meals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victory in more than one way today! Good job Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, I have had thoughts of the same thing - why is it when our spouses aren't around we feel we can eat whatever we want?

    When my husband traveled for work, while I missed him, secretly my thoughts were - "I can make nachos with lots of cheese and watch FoodTV all night!"

    Glad your hubby loves his new car :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really takes some serious self-talk sometimes, doesn't it? I totally understand what you're going through. Congratulations on defeating those instincts!!!

    Congrats on the new truck! Very nice!

    Great workout my friend,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, wow, wow Helen! I know the scenario well and don't think I've ever conquered it the way you did. You have my utmost admiration for your amazing commitment and discipline.

    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete