Friday, May 14, 2010

Breakfast Anyone?

In 2007, trying to combat my thyroid, I started eating in the fashion of a low-glycemic diet. A low glycemic diet is the sort of eating plan that would be recommended if you had insulin resistance and/or any diabetes. It’s actually a very good way to eat as it does not exclude carbs but insists on whole grains.

As I got familiar with this way of eating my breakfast foods changed drastically. Prior to that I tended to be a bagel or toast sort of girl eating breakfasts that were mostly only carbs. I learned from low glycemic eating that adding protein and/or fat while consuming carbs slows the glycemic roll, even if you’re eating plain old white bread.

After years and years of eating low fat and thus being “afraid” of eating certain foods, I reintroduced eggs into my life. Wow. I had forgotten how much I love them until I started eating them. The only thing is that high cholesterol tends to be genetic in my family so while I love eggs and they have become an almost every day breakfast for me now, I have tried to limit the yolks. I do eat them, it’s just that I would tend to make my omelette with 1 egg and some egg whites or egg substitute.

While the standard egg breakfast sandwich is one of my favorites, once in a while I run across a new idea that rocks my breakfast world. Such it is with the fabulous Biz’ Crustless Breakfast Quiche. I hesitate to share Biz with you because I want her all for myself and I’m currently fighting Shelley to have her as my next door neighbor. But I cannot keep her luscious recipes to myself as I really am not a selfish person.

A few weeks back, I made Biz’ quiche recipe, changing it a smidge by using turkey breakfast sausage and low fat milks. Even Mr. Helen said it was “pretty good” which is high praise from him when it comes to “diet” food. High enough praise that I only got one piece of it as he ate the other three! (Yeah, that’s why I generally don’t tell him that what he’s eating is lower fat or whatever.)

Last weekend I had some leftover ham and decided to make a variation of this quiche and I think I may like this even more than the sausage version. For your viewing pleasure, here’s my take on Biz’ Crustless Quiche (which I have eaten for breakfast 4 days this week!):

Ham and Broccoli Crustless Quiche

4 oz. diced low fat ham (mine was 70 cals, 2 g fat/2 oz.)
6 oz. frozen broccoli florets, cooked to pkg. directions & chopped a bit
1.5 cups egg substitute
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 oz (~1/2 cup) shredded reduced fat colby-jack cheese (I used Sargento)

Preheat oven to 400.

In a deep dish pie plate that has been sprayed with cooking spray, sprinkle diced ham and cooked broccoli.

In a large bowl, whisk together egg substitute, low fat buttermlik, skim milk, salt, pepper and mustard.

Pour over ham/broccoli in pie plate. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.

Bake for 40 minutes or until set and top is lightly browned.

4 servings, 1 serving is 1/4 of of the pie plate!

178 calories; 4.7g fat; 27mg cholesterol; 10g carbs, 2g fiber; 23g protein





As Biz would say, "A Perfect Bite!"

I think next I may try an all veggie version of this.  How great would it be to get a couple of servings of veggies by the end of breakfast?!

Finally, let me sign off by suggesting that you go wish Shelley a Happy Blogiversary.  I don't know if there is anyone left who doesn't know Shelley but if you're out there and not visiting her blog, you're missing out!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Helen - I want to try this. Unfortunately for me, I read your blog first (which I tend to do by the way) before breakfast and I was hungry. Now I'm starving :)

    I've got to make this this weekend. Mr. Sandra told me several times during the holiday that he is tired of being "fat" and that it's time. I've heard this several times over the last couple of months and although I try to help him, he ultimately has to make the choices. If I present this type of breakfast to him, I think I may win!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that does look yummy! I'd never thought of using buttermilk! I make something similar with canned green chilies and/or jalapenos.

    I'm throwing a lot of vegetables into my current eggbeater omelets. I'll either prepare extra at night when I'm cooking dinner or I'll use the roasted leftovers for quick prep time in the morning. Unfortunately, I didn't make my breakfast today and your pictures are causing me to drool!

    Have a wonderful day, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love making fritattas with veggies. You are making me hungry too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'll share Biz with you...

    Your breakfast looks so good! I am thinking of making it for dinner next week, and since my husband will be out of town, there will be leftovers, lol!

    Thank you for the sweet shout out and comment on my blog - I am so glad to have gotten to know you, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy that looks very tasty.
    I can relate to your being "afraid" of certain foods. I was afraid of butter & fat of any kind and egg yolks for a long time. I now eat them but not with abandon. I'm finding that since I've given myself permission to eat them again, I don't feel a need to binge ... I feel satiated in a way I didn't when I didn't eat fat.

    Have a fantastic day, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scared of food, yup, guilty here in the day as well. Now I have carbs and fat every morning for breakfast, just sprouted grain and nut fats. It's all in the switch ups. It does look good, my hubbie would probably love some of that up in here. He's a bit starved for some meat/egg/animal products.

    ReplyDelete
  7. new to your blog your food made me hungry. I look forward in following your journey maybe you could come and be a follower and support with my journey too. http://herewegoholdontight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Low glycemic index is a great way for anyone to eat, for a lifetime! I understand being afraid to eat certain things! When I worked with a nutritionist he taught me the role that "good fats" play when combined with high-quality protein. I was eating whites-only Egg Beaters but switched to real eggs eating one yolk for every three eggs. Cost less and they taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy that looks so good. thank you for sharing the recipe. I like eggs sometimes for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Low-glycemic dieting certainly works for me! I must have missed this recipe on Biz's blog. I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete