Friday, May 7, 2010

Pondering Past Success

Friday’s here! This week has absolutely dragged for me. Maybe it’s the anticipation of my daughter arriving home today for a weekend visit! While we do love our empty nest, it’s always good to have her home.

This is the last weekend of the three weekends eating events and let me tell you this one is an Eat-O-Rama! My goal is just to survive it. Tomorrow we have an afternoon housewarming cookout for Mr. Helens niece, which will have the usual cookout foods. I am going to try to eat as lightly as possible because that is followed by a birthday dinner with my family for Mr. Helen. I know the menu for the birthday meal is baby back ribs, potato salad, baked beans, and as he said to my mother, “I guess you girls probably want something green so whatever.” Oh, and he requested a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

Sunday, we ice that proverbial cake with a Mother’s Day Brunch.

Eat-O-Rama. Or better yet, like the Eating Olympics.

I got up at 4:45 this morning, not to run, but to clean. Yes, clean as in vacuum, dust, mop, etc. Normally my daughter drives in on Friday but arrives very late, sometimes even after we’ve gone to bed. She called last night to say she was in Philadelphia with a friend and would be arriving home around 3 or 4 this afternoon. I had planned to do my cleaning after work today because who wants to do that while she’s home. Ha! The best laid plans…

Anyway, during my cleaning I was thinking about the eating events and realized it was the day after Mother’s Day in 2007 when I started trying to take off the weight gained from my thyroid malfunction. I followed a strict low-glycemic plan that my doctor had given me and had very good success, losing 9 pounds in 2 weeks. Of course I’m sure a lot of that had to be water weight because after that it was slow, slow, slow and up and down. That got me to thinking about what I had done so I pulled out that two week plan to look at.

In 2007 when I brought the plan home and showed it to Mr. Helen I literally cried about having to do it. He looked at me and said, “Helen, you are the strongest woman I know. You have endured much worse than this and you can do anything for only two weeks. I believe in you!” He was so sweet it made me cry more, but you know, I sucked it up and did it.

Even though I’m not as heavy as I was then, I have to admit I wonder if I was that strict with myself what would happen. Maybe I should do it again. For just two weeks. Hmmmm….. something to think about over the next few days.

Eating Olympics or not, I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend celebrating the special women in your life!

15 comments:

  1. why on earth do celebrations always seem to have to revolve around food. I spend so much time strategizing how to get around the prat falls of food and family and visiting with people. I wish it wasn't so ingrained in our culture. perhaps you can work in a walk or something active with your loved ones this weekend.
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monkey and me is right - in our family everything does revolve around food. I wonder how we go about changing that?

    Enjoy having your girl home. While we no longer live together certainly, I've only lived in a far different place from my daughter for a few months while she was studying abroad. I am fortunate that I get to see her a couple of times a month! Enjoy your girl - and worry about cleaning and the food later - this is about you and her! Have a great time....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food, alcohol...it's always something that a celebration wraps around that we (the royal, as Miz would say) have to deal with. Good luck with your eating Olympics - at least you know it will be over after this weekend!

    Enjoy your time with your daughter...when you said this: "While we do love our empty nest, it’s always good to have her home." - I understood it completely.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother's Day should be good for moms. It is sad that you feel that you will be sabotaged on your special day. I wouldn't go for the all or nothing strategy. How about 80% healthy with the right portion size? After 2 weeks of being strict with yourself, then what?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day and how wonderful that your daughter will be home this weekend. I would have gotten up early and cleaned ahead of time just like you did!

    I guess you have to decide if the strict eating for two weeks would give you a much needed boost and would be worth the effort.

    Sometimes in the past I have done a strict lower carb menu for two weeks to clean the junk out of my diet and decrease carb cravings.

    Wishing you well with the Eat-o-rama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not wait to hear about your eating success. If I were you, I would get a game plan before each event. I hate to say this, but overeating at all of those functions could cause a HUGE weight gain. Be careful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. “Helen, you are the strongest woman I know. You have endured much worse than this and you can do anything for only two weeks. I believe in you!”

    What a great comment to hear from the one you love! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be me getting up to clean too! Sadly, my daughter does most of the upkeep of our house - she is a neat freak and how she ever popped out of my body, I'll never know!

    When she is at work I try to clean the kitchen so its spotless when she gets home - after she moves out I am starting to realize all she does for me!

    Have a great time with your daughter and family this weekend! And remember, its about the friends and family . . . not the food! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mother's Day. Enjoy every second with your daughter. That cookout food and the whole eating extravaganza sounds pretty good! Enjoy in a reasonable manner and you'll get back on track Monday with little damage done.

    There is an award for you over on my blog today - a different one I don't think you've received yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mother's Day, lol, eating olympics, it sure does feel like that. I have no doubt you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know...I was wondering when easter turned into an eat fest too.
    I am thinking of making one of the 'eating' holidays a healthy holiday...as in wasa crackers and water.
    You know, good ole lenten subsistance.
    Ignore me, I am in a strange mood..
    Good luck with navigating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Mother's Day!! Have a great weekend -- as long as you don't win the "gold medal" at the eating olympics, it's going to be OK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stay Strong Helen!! Eat-o-Rama won't/can't beat a tough determined woman like you!! Hang in there and when Monday rolls around we'll be here to cheer you on and fight the good fight :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah... what is the deal with that. It seems like all we do is eat to celebrate around my house... have not really thought about it.

    Why don't we go out and do something fun to celebrate.... like ride a roller-coaster!

    Thanks!

    WeighDownSouth.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eating to celebrate is not just an American culture thing. It's a people culture. It happens EVERY WHERE. Birthdays, anniversarys, and holidays are those special occasions when we should be able to have some special treat. Thursday is not a special occasion:) Hange in there and have a great Mother's day.

    ReplyDelete