Monday, May 3, 2010

Purple is my New Favorite Color!

Hello Peeps!  This is going to be a longer blog but with a lot of pictures so I hope you'll enjoy!

As I teased on Saturday,  I made it to the next level - Purple Belt -  in Muay Thai and I'm considered an Advanced Student.  They changed up the testing this time and I liked this format so much better.  The ten of us who tested were each put on our own bag.  One sensei gave the instructions and the other 4 sensei's walked around and check us.  So even though there were different levels (White-Brown) in the room, we each had to perform at the level expected of us.  It just felt so much better to me than standing in a big room all by myself with people watching. Even though people were watching, the new setup made me feel more secure and I know I did much better!  Here in photos is some of what I had to do:

Running around the room to warm up


Guard Up, Get Ready

Punches:  Hook, Elbow Strike, Cross


Kicks: Roundhouses
(the first one is higher but not as good because I let my guard hand (left) drop
the second one is almost as perfect as it gets)



In between punching rounds, we had our fitness tested
with pushups, done on the sensei's count - torture!, mountain climbers, and crunches




Standing in Set Position, Waiting to See if I Passed
I'm trying to smile because Sensei told me to stop looking so worried!


Purple Belt!
 


Finally, our anniversary weekend was a smashing success.  We left home around 2 on Saturday and drove the hour to check into the hotel.  We had taken some wine and cheese and crackers with us and afer we got settled in our room, had that while we watched a movie on HBO.  Then it was time to get ready.  I wore the dress and shoes from my holiday party.  Mr. Helen was appropriately appreciative and looked very handsome himself.  We got to the Capital Grille just in time for our reservation and were seated promptly.  I reached into my bag to take my camera out so I could take photos of our food and of course, get a shot of the two of us and no camera!  I had left it sitting on the desk at the hotel.  Boo.  So you'll have to trust me when I say the food was delicious and beautifully presented.  We ordered lobster bisque and a spinach salad with warm bacon dressing to share as starters.  For our main courses, the Mr. got a grilled veal chop with Roquefort Butter and I had one of the specials - a filet mignon finished with broiled Blue Cheese and a Raspberry Demi-Glace.  We ordered the Parmesan Truffle Fries and the Roasted Green Beans with Anise to share for sides.  The food was every bit as yummy tasting as it sounds.  I think those Parmesan Truffle Fries might be the best french fries I have ever had in my life.  They were simply amazing.  We also shared a bottle of Merlot.  During the course of the evening, Mr. Helen mentioned to our server that we were celebrating our anniversary.  Soon after she cleared away our plates, she brought us a champagne toast and flourless chocolate espresso cake!  She did this at no charge to us so needless to say she got a nice tip.  I think what I was most proud of is that I ate only half of each thing on my plate!  I ended the evening completely satisfied but not stuffed.  Plus I got a whole meal to take home! 

It was a great weekend filled with fitness, fun, food and romance.  What more could a girl ask for?

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I wish I knew more about what "Purple belt" actually means but I can assume that it was a very big accomplishment for you! So Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the belt! By the way...your weekend totally makes me jealous :) I wish I could have posted something as fantastic as that! Though the food that I inhaled, it was nothing compared to the food that you wrote about! Good for you mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job on the belt! keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Purple Belt! I'm so glad you had a great time on your anniversary big night out! It sounds wonderful! The food made me drool....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fantastic, you're a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the Purple best and on the anniversary. Roquefort butter sounds positively sinful and wonderful. And parmesean truffle fries - oh my! Now it's back to same-old same-old, huh!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Helen!!! You did it!!! Congratulations on achieving your Purple belt! Great pictures...I feel like I was there!

    And I'm so glad you had such a wonderful anniversary weekend. The dinner sounds fantastic and what fun for the server to recognize your anniversary with the dessert and champagne!

    P.S. I can't believe you RAN to your belt test - you ARE a glutton for punishment, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, now I'm tired and feeling very full!
    Congratulations on your achievement!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. woo hoo! Doing the "happy dance" in Texas! Sounded like you had a true weekend to remember! Congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your purple belt! What a beautiful weekend you had. Your meal sounds incredible and good job on eating only half.Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! Your anniversary celebration sounds romantic and yes, just what a girl could want.

    Congratulations on your Purple Belt! You really look like you can kick some butt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Helen!! I am glad you and the Mr. had a good time too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the purple belt! What a great achievements! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOOK AT YOU KICK BUTT. That is awesome, you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah Helen - congrats. What a wonderful way to be tested. I know my sister is like you and hates being the only one up there when they test her.
    You ROCK lady!!

    ReplyDelete