Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesday Ten with Exciting News!

Here is why when something seems too good to be true, it probably is. I found some cookies at the store that sounded delicious: peanut butter cookie with a dark chocolate coated bottom. The packaging said there were 4 cookies the box. The nutrition said for 1/4 it was 110 calories, 6g fat, 2 protein. Wow. Sounds pretty good and I usually eat something 100-150 calories for my 3 p.m. low time. Yesterday, instead of the yogurt I planned, I ate a cookie. The whole time I was eating it I kept thinking "This is an awful big cookie for 110 calories." Soooooo, I pulled the box out again and looked again (but not until it was gone, of course). That information was for 1/4 of A COOKIE, not 1/4 of the box! YIKES! That means I ate 440 calories of cookie. Sigh.

After I talked about the John J. Kelley Ocean Beach Run in last week’s Tuesday Ten, Laurie asked me what the 11.6 mile race “was.” I think she meant like 5K or 10K or Half Marathon. Well, the answer is none of the above. I’ve never actually heard the story about why the race is that distance. Actually I think it’s really 11.78, even though it’s advertised as 11.6.

During the course of that race, I will get to see this awesome sight. I’ll also see them while I train. I’m so lucky!



The great thing about being a new runner who races is that you really don’t have anything to compare to. Old runners like me have all these previous race times and PRs and such that can really mess with your mental state. Since I decided to start the half marathon training program, I need to get all thoughts of time out of my head and just train to finish and for fun.

I did make the all veggie version of the crustless quiche. It’s just as yummy as the other versions. I put broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus and scallions in it. Next time I think I’m going to use mushrooms, spinach, artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers. Oh the possibilites are endless. Thanks again to the cooking whiz Biz for the basic recipe!

Have I mentioned that I really want to win my battle against my thyroid and thus, my scale? I want to be slender. Period. Is that so wrong?

I’m trying to balance exercise, eating right, work, meal planning, housekeeping and half marathon training. I’m trying to get my thyroid back in balance and cooperating so that I’ll quit bouncing up and down between 175-180. I’m trying to be careful with money because of all the “unexpected” expenses we’ve had lately. I’m trying to figure out who I really am and what I like. Some days I feel exhausted from all this trying that I’ve been doing.

For the last time people, the word is "LOSE" not "LOOSE". Unless you are talking about your clothes. You lose weight. Then your clothes are loose. Can you tell how much this annoys me?

Here's the exciting news! I’ve decided that when I get to 200 posts or 100 followers (whichever comes first) I am going to do some giveaways. I’d planned on doing one when I’d lost my first 10 pounds – instead of rewarding myself, I’d reward you. But it’s taking so long that I’m going this other route. Only thing is the number will have to say 102 because both Shelley and Jack Sh*t have followed me twice. Does that mean they really, really like me?

Finally, I have been inspired by Miz’ “I Am My Own SuperHero” campaign. Miz, here is my answer:


I am Wonder Woman.

24 comments:

  1. Let me just tell ya...your post fits perfect with mine. I talk about people that inspire me. You, my friend, are one of those people!! Your posts reminds me why I follow you. You are the REAL deal...with NO EXCUSES!!! Thanks mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...I just read your comment on my blog. Girl...you and I just may share a brain!!! LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you at least enjoy that cookie? :) I would have....

    Sounds like your run will be fun, training and participating. Since I'm not a "runner" yet, I am looking for a 5 or 10k walk I can do before my Kidney March in Sept. I think it would be fun to participate in. Mind you, I may just be able to jog a 5K - no speed records but at least I'd hit the finish line.

    I'm like you, I'm tired of balancing it all and hope that the day it all just comes naturally without a whole lot thought comes really soon. This eating clean/elimination thing I'm doing is darn hard - and boring. I can't use any flavorings that might have sugar in it or butter for my veggies.... it's bland city in my kitchen right now.

    I didn't get to try the quiche on the weekend and now have to wait until I can eat eggs again but I really want to give a go. Sounds SO GOOD!

    Hope you have a fantastic day Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, you have to clue this clueless Texan in to what that house? is on the water. Whatever it is, if you get to train by the water, how nice! That should help get your mind off other, annoying thoughts!
    Helen, you are a super-woman!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK! I see the white lighthouse in the back but the big red one is awesome! I've never seen anything like that before! It would be fun to go inside that one! Lucky you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg how BIG was that freaking cookie!! heavens!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. loose, lose...lol.
    I don't do that one but sometimes I get lazy and fug up your and you're.
    After I post I look and cringe. Fun times.
    and can I just say how disingenuous it was for them to lable a portion size 1/4th of a cookie.
    WHO EATS 1/4 OF A COOKIE? No one that's who.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Answer: Yes. :)

    And I am a bit of a technology idiot, if you couldn't already tell, haha.

    I've given up on lose vs. loose. Also your vs. you're, their vs. they're vs. there...and don't get me started on apostrophes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post and great picture of you. I promise, you can't even tell you ate a 440 calorie cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am totally with you on the lose/loose thing. Now I have this going through my head.

    Wonder Woman!
    Wonder Woman!

    All the world is waiting for you
    and the power you possess
    In your satin tights
    fighting for your rights
    And the old red white and blue

    Wonder Woman!
    Wonder Woman!

    Now the world is ready for you
    and the wonders you can do
    Make a hawk a dove
    stop a war with love
    Make a liar tell the truth

    Wonder Woman!
    Get us out from under, Wonder Woman

    All our hopes are pinned upon you
    and the magic that you do
    Stop a bullet cold
    make the axis fold
    change their minds and change the world

    Wonder Woman!
    Wonder Woman!

    You're a wonder, Wonder Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are Wonder Woman, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOL at the 1/4 cookie thing...WTF?????? Great post, and I'll be all over your giveaways. Maybe I should follow you 6 more times and end the suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this post - and I've been there done that when I thought something was too good to be true - and like you - I always find out after the fact!

    Okay, this is how not computer savvy I am - I don't know how to follow you, otherwise I would! I don't even know what it means when people read their "Google Reader." And I don't know what RSS feed is either. :(

    Happy Tuesday! Glad you veggie version turned out just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never been blog quoted, well, as far as I know, so thanks. And, you have to get credit for that 11.78 rather than just 11.6!!!
    LOVE the superhero. My husband collects comic books and also sells them (GEEK!), so Superheros are close to my heart: how's this, he married me because I would then have the same initials as Lois Lane, is that a turn-on or what?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cookies sound delish! Your goals sound awesome! You are almost at 100 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness I hate it when I read the nutritional info wrong or the serving size! YIKES! It is a good reminder to double check those numbers.

    Wishing you much success in reaching your health goals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nope, nothing wrong with slender ! Awesome post Helen. And that cookie is ridonkulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok...super pet peeve of mine...ridiculous nutrition labels.

    If I have to cut one of your cookies into fourths, than that isn't an accurate label.

    Just like both Campbells and Progresso have microwavable soup bowls that contain "about 2" servings. First of all, you aren't going to share or save your microwavable soup bowl...second, they often provide incompatible conversion units to get the true total nutrition consumed. I think you have like a total package in ounces against a nutrition label based on milliliters or something...crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go Wonder Woman :) :) Love that pic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loose drove me crazy for a while. Now my mind is playing tricks on me about it. I can't help thinking about loose women, loose fat, loose buttocks, you know, it's just about anything they are talking about. I always get all literal and it drives me bonkers.

    You ARE wonder woman. For all the fabulous things you do. You are such an inspiring cheerleader, and a wonderful role model, and a great blogging buddy. Thanks. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha! That cookie incident is exactly something I'd do. In fact, I've done something similar several times.

    A half marathon?! Wow!! I bow down to you. Impressive.

    Loose when it should be lose drives me totally insane. It's all I can do to NOT leave a comment about it. Annoys me terribly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh
    oh
    oh
    oh
    oh
    I LOVE THAT PHOTO!!!

    love.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The whole "lose"/"loose" thing really bothers me too.

    I hate hearing about the cookie. I bet that was a real let down.

    ReplyDelete