Thursday, June 10, 2010

If the Food is Really Good, It Helps

When I wrote in this blog about not substituting carrot sticks or celery for other things in my diet, Tami from the Nutmeg Notebook made this comment:


I have found that I am not hungry when I eat nutritious food. Refined carbs leave me feeling hungry but not chicken, fish, veggies, fruit, plain yogurt, brown rice, wheat pasta,beans,eggs, lentils fat free milk and good food like that!


Of course, I totally agree with that and that is generally how I eat.  But almost more important to me is that my food is flavor packed.  When it is really good and flavor packed, my satisfaction quotient goes up so high that I don't even want the cheesecake so to speak.


While I am not a food blogger, I do enjoy cooking and creating meals - a lot.  So, I am constantly clipping recipes from newspapers, magazine, food blogs, etc. and saving them.  On Monday, after I got the "one day at a time" fever I was thinking about dinner and realized I had all the ingredients in the house to try one of the recipes I had been saving.   Later on that same day I commented to Katie J that I was going to try this new recipe and I promised her if it was any good I would share.


These burgers are not just good, they are EXCELLENT.   Even the beef burger loving Mr. Helen has asked me to add this recipe to our regular rotation.  They were so good, he asked me to make a double recipe next time!  I served them with my low fat, high flavor red potato salad and we thought we'd gone to food nirvana by the end of this meal.
  
So, Katie, as promised here's that recipe.


Curried Chicken Burgers With Chive Mayo
Start to finish: 20 minutes
Servings: 4
½ cup mayonnaise (I used Hellman's Olive Oil Mayo - it's low fat & healthy!)
½ tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 large egg
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon curry powder
1¼ pounds ground chicken breast

4 hamburger buns
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
Heat a grill to medium. Oil the grates, or coat them with cooking spray. 
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, ginger and chives. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and curry powder.  Add in your chicken breast and mix together well.  (I used my hands!)
Form the meat into 4 loose patties. They are going to be really wet.
Use a spatula to carefully place the burgers on the grill and cook, covered, for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the burgers - they should be firm enough to move easily now - and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until an instant thermometer reads 165 F at the thickest part of the burgers.
To serve, place each burger on a bun, then top with mayonnaise and avocado.
Notes from our experience:
I bought Perdue ground chicken breast filet but the original recipe suggested pulsing chicken breasts in a food processor.
To cook the burgers and not have them fall through the grill grate, we actually put one of those mesh cooking grates with a handle over our grill. I wiped the grate with a paper towel that had canola oil on it.  Mr. Helen suggested next time that we try a clamping basket so the whole basket could be flipped.
It is very, very important to just let the burgers sit for 4-5 minutes.  Don't mess with them.  You'll be amazed at how easy they flip over.
We also thought these would be really good with a Tzatiki sauce or a Yogurt Tahini Sauce.
I only used 1T of the mayo mixture on mine so the nutrition facts reflect that.
The Nutrition Facts (includes everything but the bun!):
262 calories; 13g fat; 134g cholesterol; 493mg sodium; 4.6g carbs, 3.1g fiber, 32.5g protein.
If you don't use the mayo and the avocado, 5 oz. of the ground chicken breast alone only has 125 calories and 0.6 g fat.
Hope you enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. it was such an AH HA! moment for me back in the day when I realized that not everyone is like you and me!
    (well I didnt know you back then but you know what I mean :))
    for me the refined carbs make me long for sugar
    hell the natural sugars in FRUIT alone (sans fat and protein) turn me into a sugar troll as well.

    Id thought everyone was like that----until I didnt.

    who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The burger receipe looks good will have to print it out and try it. I just read your Wednesday post good job on stringing the "good" days together!

    Hang in there I KNOW things are tough right now but it will get better this season of loss will stop.I went through that back in 2004-2006 I lost my mom,uncle,grandma within a couple of years of each other and it was horrible since 06 things have quieted down and I hope it stays that way...I'm here if you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very good! I agree that the healthy food has to taste good. And it can. If it didn't, I would be eating junk still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fantastic and I may actually try it tonight because I have the stuff on hand, except I have gr. turkey instead of chicken. Thanks for posting this.

    I'm so with you about good flavor being necessary for food to be satisfying. If not, why bother? Just because the food is whole, natural and healthy doesn't mean it's going to do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow - a food blog post!! Helen - quick tip. When I make turkey or chicken burgers, since the meat is "loose" I put the patties in the freezer for 15 minutes before putting them on the grill - they always stay together that way and are easy to flip.

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I am just going to have to try this one soon. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Miss Helen! I am not a foody either but I like to branch out so this is just great. Oh and look at Biz with her freezer suggestion. Bravo ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn@slim-shoppinJune 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM

    Nice recipe Helen!

    I've found that when I make burgers using ground chicken, its SUPER moist, so after making the patty I'll freeze it for about 10 minutes before cooking so it doesn't fall apart.

    OK... this is freaky, I just started writing this and scrolled up and my twin sister just said the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds good-thanks for posting. Have you posted the recipe for your low-fat red potato salad recipe? That too sounds delish, and I'd be interested in that too.

    ReplyDelete