Monday, June 14, 2010

One More Week

This is the week we lay Pam to rest.  Wednesday we will hold her memorial service here.  Friday we fly to Michigan for a Saturday service there.  I am ready and almost anxious to have it done.  One more week and perhaps we can begin the business of moving on.

The weekend was good.  My run on Saturday was almost textbook perfect for a long run.  Good pace, good hydration, good recovery.  Because I'm training for something longer than a 10K, I pay attention to pacing and hydration and stuff like that on my long training runs.  I used the McMillian Running Calculator to set up what paces I should be running my tempo runs, speedwork, easy runs and long runs at.  Saturday I actually ran 30 seconds per mile faster than my fastest long run pace.  While that could have been a point of concern, the run felt easy and when I got home and looked at my HRM I realized that, indeed, I had just been "in the zone."  Gotta love a run like that.  Not to mention the 857 calorie burn!

Saturday night Mr. Helen asked me out on a date!  It has been weeks and weeks since we went out for leisurely drinks and dinner just the two of us.  We really did have a wonderful evening - one that was much needed.  I carefully planned my choices of food and beverage and managed to stay at 2000 calories for the day even with the extras of wine and dessert.  Since that's around maintenance calories for me, I was really pleased with that, especially considering the calorie burn I'd gotten on my run.

Sundays are always a back to routine day for me.  Mr. Helen works so I usually spend the day running errands and cooking in preparation for the upcoming week.  Sundays are also a rest from planned exercise day too and I'm usually more than ready for it!  Eating was good and within weight loss range.

My daughter arrived home and will be here all week.  She is also flying to Michigan with us.  We've had an empty nest for a long time so even though she's my child, things always feel a bit different when she's home, especially when it's for a full week!

Today I see my doctor and hope to get the referral to the endocrinologist.  I definitely think I need more help than what I can give myself with my metabolism and thyroid issues.

Still planning on going at this one day at a time.  Seems to be working for me, at least for now.

14 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you and the Mr. this week. I hope all goes smooth for you and your family.

    I know what you mean about the children being home. Love them to death, but when you have had an empty nest, things are a bit off when your house is full again. Now I have to say though I have yet to experience the empty nest syndrome.

    And it sounds like you had a fantastic date night and one well deserved. So happy for you to have gone out, relaxed and still came in on track. Maintenance is good.

    Have a wonderful day Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Sandra said about keeping you in thoughts and prayers this week.

    So interesting what you said about having kids home...our youngest has been home since early May which is adjustment enough. Now his older brother is here for a week, and while it's wonderful, it really is an adjustment after being total empty nesters. And I find my thoughts drifting to wanting to "control" or have input into their everyday things that I normally have none of!

    Way to keep to the plan over the weekend, even on date night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to the empty nest syndrome. Congrats on the run. A perfect workout is always such a high!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be thinking about you and your family during this tough time. Congratulations on your awesome run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice date night! My thoughts are with you too, it can be hard. You seem to be doing great though! Stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because your 'one day at a time' mantra is contagious, I am doing well...one day at a time!! Thanks for your comment! I, too, think this is a great place to be. Since I'm honest, you gotta know that part of me feels like I need to be more actively pursing something. I know...I'm weird :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking of you and your family, Helen. ♡

    I don't know from running, but it sounds like hell! LOL!
    Congrats on your pace improvement!

    A date with Mr. Helen ... that's fantastic and romantic.

    Oh the thyroid stuff gets me too. It's hard enough without this added to the mix.

    Helen, I hope you have a peaceful week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a strong woman. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are getting stronger and stronger! Congrats on your fabulous run. I hope this week will give you and your family a peaceful closure. I know it has been difficult for you all! Blessings and Strength to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keeping your family in my prayers this week. It sounds like you are doing great with the exercise and food. Good for you!

    Good luck with your Dr appt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for you with your most excellent run! I clicked on that link and my mind exploded - all those numbers!!! Boy, I sure can tell that I was not a math major, lol! I'm just trying to digest what Ricky Bobby is telling me - where do you find your "splits" info (if splits means pace each mile)?

    Sounds like a night out was just what you and Mr. Helen needed - the fact that you kept your calories manageable is a nice bonus!

    Will be thinking of you and the family this week. Glad your daughter is home, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Inspiring to read a positive food weekend when mine was tough.
    This long mourning time must be so hard. In the Jewish religion, we bury the deceased, supposedly within 24 hours, but most funerals happen within 2-3 days. We then sit shiva (that means 7) for 7 days. That is when we stay home, have people come and pay condolences etc. To wait around like you are doing seems so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to see you keeping a positive attitude and getting good workouts in right now. Having your daughter around will be really nice.
    Maybe we could sneak away to the beach for some R&R? lol! You deserve some!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I glad you were able to work some happiness into an otherwise sad week. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete