Friday, June 25, 2010

Yawn.

I decided earlier in the week that I would do this week's longest run today, because there were thunderstorms predicted for Saturday when I would normally do it.  Of course, Connecticut weather being what it is, we had a tornado yesterday, just an hour away from where I live, and it only sprinkled where I do live,  and it's not going to storm at all tomorrow - or at least not until later in the day.  Still, my running week was planned so I decided to stick to it.

The alarm went off and I jumped out of bed and got my running clothes on.  I've written about this before - it's sort of a semi-dark bumbling thing I do, although after that incident, I do check to make sure my shorts are on right side out.  Anyway, as I was dressing, I kept wondering if something was wrong because I wasn't hearing the birds.  Yep, those little suckers start chirping around 4 am.  I don't know what made me do it, but I glanced at the clock in the spare bedroom where I get dressed and it was only 3:05!

Obviously, when I was setting my alarm last night I had somehow moved the regular clock up by an hour.  Good grief.

I did what any smart girl would do and I promptly went back into my bedroom, reset my clock and went back to sleep for another hour.

At 4:05, I jumped up again, but I was already dressed so I staggered down the stairs to get a cup of coffee. I sat on the sofa sipping coffee and watching the news including a crazy photo of Kate Gosselin who has gotten Botox and doesn't currently look like herself!  That's enough to get anyone wide awake.

At 4:45, I headed out for what was supposed to be a 10K (6.2 mile) run and ended up being 7.2 because I actually started daydreaming and ended up running an extra mile away from home.  Which is ok because this training is all about endurance anyway.

What is surprising me though, is that ever since I finished that run, I feel like laying down and taking a nap.  This is a fairly common phoenomena with new runners exploring long distances.  In fact during my first marathon training on my very first long run of 9 miles, I came home, showered, ate some toast and could not keep my eyes open, so I went to bed.  Mr. Helen had a friend visiting for the weekend and they were out fishing.  When they got back, he tried to wake me up and I grumpily told him I was never running again, I wanted to die, and to leave me alone!  He kept coming back every couple of hours between their activities - he'd never seen me like this and it was scaring him - but I slept on for 6 straight hours!  I've never had that happen since, though I've run up to 27 miles at once.  My guess is that today, between the (first) 3AM wakeup and all the stress of the past couple of weeks, my body is a teensy bit in shock.  Too bad I'm at work.  Seriously, I'm sleepy enough that I'm contemplating setting the alarm on the iPhone and locking my door at lunchtime!

So, now I have my longest run of the week done, which leaves me only a short 3 mile recovery run tomorrow.  Good thing because this is one of our jam-packed weekends and it starts tonight right after I get out of work.  Maybe I should take that lunch time siesta?

I know this isn't my usual blog full of goodness but really people, I'm trying to stay awake here.  Yawn.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my, Helen. Your alarm clock reminds me of a family travel story - we were driving from Texas to Washington state and were in Ogden, Utah. We'd stumbled into the motel about 11pm, dead tired, set the alarm and went to bed. The alarm went off, we all got up, dressed and hit the road. We drove for a couple of hours before stopping for breakfast. We looked around at all the bleary-eyed people and then looked at the clock. It was still only 4am. We'd paid for about 2 to 3 hours sleep in that motel!

    Helen, I'm beginning to think you are not human. How does one just forget and run an extra mile? I have to count strides to keep my mind from begging me to stop on that last mile. There is nothing that I ever think about that would keep my head from knowing when I was supposed to stop :-)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running an extra mile is a pretty good screw up. its great that you can run that far and the distance not even phase you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me so proud when you said you went back to bed...that's exactly what I would have done. Oy...that's the first I've seen of Kate G. looking like that. Scary for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness that is funny and awful all at the same time! I am not a runner so I was fascinated about the sleep inducing affect of a long run.

    I have to google Kate G and see what is up with her new look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my running role model, Helen. I really admire your "get it done" mindset, and I can only hope to lose myself in a run, someday, and go farther than I intended.

    Glad you wrote about the extreme tiredness as I had no idea and actually, if I can get a nap like that, bring it on!

    Wish I could send you a cup of Starbucks to help you make it through the morning...oh, and Kate has made an excellent case for NOT getting botox - eek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do sound tired. I know that with Chickadee's regression and FIL's passing my emotional distress has contributed to a general exhaustion. I need more sleep at night just to feel rested. I need more time to make up for difficult workouts.

    I think it's good to be gentle while keeping up the routine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When good intentions go wrong? At least you were able to wake up again at the correct time!
    Yikes! Kate Gosselin! Yet another reason to NOT put crap in you face! Priscilla Presley anyone? Need I say more? Have a great weekend!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bad move on the ever brilliant Kate Gosselin's part - she looks permanently judgemental with the eyebrows nipping at her hairline.

    You really are a role model for discipline with your running. I can't believe your "mistake" was to do an extra mile...mine would be too forget to go in favor of holding down the couch with my reclined body! Have a great w/e.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are hard core in many ways. First, if I woke up early, I would have been too annoyed to fall back asleep. Second, I only wish I could accidentally run an extra mile...but working on that level of freedom. Third, my longest run ever is 7 miles and I need to keep working on more.

    You, my friend, are one serious runner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have done something like this before, only I ended up at work before I realized it. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is super weird to be up in the 3's and not know it (of course, for me, the 4's are the middle of the night). I am such a wimp, I am tired now and got up at 6:15. I ran a 5K today.
    But, what is with you running 27 miles one time? Wow!!!
    And, sleeping 6 hours after that run. I would have been scared too. I wonder if you were sick too.
    My peeps are away and I can nap if I want...lalalala.....it is MY weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, I can't imagine waking up that early - way to go Helen!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. late to the party but wowzer.
    You know im all about the early waking and kindasorta do that with ease now---but the running?!

    wowzer.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hee! I get up ridiculously early already, so when I wake even earlier than that, it's still the middle of the night. Don't sweat going back to bed, we've earned it sometimes!

    ReplyDelete