Friday, July 2, 2010

Free To Be

On Tuesday morning I woke up and felt funny.  Over the course of the day I sneezed a gazillion times and by the end of the day, my Muay Thai Boxing class felt like the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life.  Even the Mr. commented on how much I was sweating because the class wasn't particularly hard.

On Wednesday I got up and ran 5 miles even though my legs felt like bricks.  By the time I got to work I had a full on running nose and was sneezing again.  I was very busy at work but as the day progressed I became convinced that I had somehow caught a summer cold.

On Thursday morning I woke up and my left ear was pounding, my right ear felt muffled, and it hurt to swallow.  I made the immediate decision to call in to work and take my behind (and ears and throat) to the doctor.

As soon as the office opened I called and they took me right in.  The verdict?  Double ear infections and strep throat.  WHO gets this crap in the SUMMER is what I want to know.  For crying out loud. Which I almost did at the thought of my whole long weekend, that I have been soooooo looking forward to, being a bust because I had some weird summer virus.

Ah well, at least I didn't put off going to the doctor until we were in the midst of the holiday weekend because then it would have meant a trip to urgent care and a co-pay that was three times the amount of my doctor's visit.  I'm on my second day of the famous Z-Pack and should be feeling pretty good by tomorrow.

Which is of utmost importance to me, because Saturday I have a 9 mile run on the schedule, followed by brunch with a friend and a birthday picnic in the afternoon. Sunday will be a beach day as will some of Monday.  I don't have time to be sick and my brain is saying "party" even though my throat is croaking "Listerine."

Though the holiday means picnics, cookouts, beach, fun, and parties, I hope you'll find some time to reflect on the fact that we are truly, truly blessed to live in the USA where we are free to be you and me.  I'm proud to be an American.

Happy Birthday USA!


15 comments:

  1. Oh no! Feel better, and hope that Z-pack gets you up and going for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say how weird to get sick like that, but you *have* been under a bit of stress lately...your defenses were probably worn down. I'm glad you did get to the doctor and hopefully your weekend will be salvaged! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU SAID:
    my brain is saying "party" even though my throat is croaking "Listerine."

    Dang, don't you just hate that kind of raucous conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's annoying! Hate those summer things that sneak up on you! Hope it doesn't ruin the weekend!

    Thank you for your awesome comment, I smiled and so needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap. You are superWOman. Really. 9 miles with a double ear infections and strep? Even thinking about it? You should get an award. O*O.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strep? Whoa! That is weird in summer time! Good thing you went to the Dr and got meds. I hope you feel better soon and have a terrific weekend!



    I forgot, we're having watermelon too. I'll save a place for you.

    another proud American!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. get better soon sweetie.smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bummer!! Hope the Zpac kicks in before the weekend! Enjoy and get some rest if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feel better chica. I just returned from temple fo Shabbat (Sabbath) services and our Cantor (musical spiritual leader) ended the service with "America the Beautiful" for the 4th. It was so beautiful, she has an AMAZING voice and it was so nice to hear her sing something different. It was a really nice touch. We have our good friend's Bar Mitzvah tomorrow (that's why I went tonight, to support him). It will be food filled and festive. Oy! Funny, I don't even think about the alcohol, because eating is so much more a focus at a Jewish event. Anyhow, I plan to work out in the morning before we go to carve out a little room for the extras. Although, it sure would be nice to eat moderately.
    Anyhow, I hope you feel good and can enjoy all of your fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. maaan!
    late to this one but still hoping you are feeling better and can RESTRESTREST all weekend.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope ya feel better and you got some much needed rest! Happy Weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, that sucks! Glad you got into the doctor when you did!

    Have a great vacation - the beach day sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helen, I hope you are feeling better today. Summer sickness seems so much worse than those in the winter. Is it because we don't ever think we should be sick in the summer?

    Have a great forth of July!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 9 miles! I can't imagine running 9 miles healthy! You poor thing. Happy 4th!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, strep throat?! Ear infections?! How the heck? I know what you mean too. I wait all winter for summer, my favorite time of year, and getting sick just isn't part of the plan. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete