Thursday, July 1, 2010

One Potato, Two Potato

A while back I mentioned a lower fat red potato salad that I make and one of the commenters said they would like to see the recipe.  Since the holiday weekend is coming up and there will be picnics galore, I thought today would be the perfect time to share.

Helen's Lower Fat Old Fashioned Red Potato Salad


3 lbs. red potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
1/2 cup sliced green onion (scallions, spring onions, the green part only)
1/2 cup diced celery
3/4 cup low fat sour cream
1/3 cup Olive Oil Mayonnaise or Canola Oil Mayonnaise (make sure it's no more than 5g fat per T)
1 tsp. dillweed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 hard cooked boiled eggs, sliced
Paprika

Put the cubed potatoes in a large pan, cover with water and bring to a boil.  Cook 8-10 minutes or until tender.  Drain thoroughly and place in a large bowl.

Add onion and celery and sprinkle dillweed over.  In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over potato mixture and toss gently.

Layer egg slices over the potato salad mix and sprinkle with paprika.  Cover and chill completely - several hours or even overnight.

10 servings, serving size is 1 cup
163 calories, 4g fat, 5.5g protein, 27.5g carbs, 2.6g fiber



Mr. Helen, who is a very loud protester of anything too "diety",  loves this potato salad.  In fact, he often asks me to bring it to cookouts because it's the only one he really likes anymore.

Hope you enjoy!

What are you cooking up for your holiday picnic?

10 comments:

  1. This looks great, I need some mustard in it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course there will be potato salad this weekend! This one looks yummy! I like to use red potatoes for potato salad.
    There will also be some baby back ribs, corn on the cob and fruit pizza.
    Have a great weekend!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to fix that. That sounds very yummy. ty.smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never even thought of using olive oil - I am not a huge fan of mayo - definitely putting this on the list of things to make!

    Thanks Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum - this sounds both good and easy, my two prerequisites for cooking!

    We don't have anything beyond a free 4K fun run and then our usual bagel breakfast planned - Jeff has to go out of town that afternoon to be ready to teach Monday morning. Yes, it kinda sucks. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always the one that brings the dessert. I will find something healthier that I can make!!! OOO for picnics with people who are not dieting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that was me that requested your recipe, and I thank you for posting it. It looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Thanks so much for sharing this. I will be adding to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm! I usually make a little 'modified' potato salad just for myself but this one looks really good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete