Friday, July 9, 2010

Pea Soup

I bet you thought I was going to post another recipe didn't you?  Nope.  Pea Soup would be what I ran in this morning.  I took a picture for you to see, but I'm not sure it really conveys just how thick it was:



You know what causes that sort of fog?  Dewpoints in the 70s, humidity at 100%.  Goody.  When I first went out I almost went back home to the treadmill but honestly, I really don't like the treadmill unless it's an absolute necessity.  As I ran along to the sound of air conditioning units and smelling the sea, I wondered why I wasn't seeing any nocturnal creatures because this sort of fog tends to bring them out.  No sooner than I had the thought than a little baby skunk toddled out in the road right in front of me.  He heard me, his tail went up and I stopped dead in my tracks then started back peddling.  I really wasn't in the mood to be sprayed this morning.  Once I backed away he put his tail down and sauntered to the sidewalk.  At least he wasn't in my house, like what happened to POD recently.  (If you haven't read her post you must!).

Anyway, I slogged through it for 5 1/2 miles. Another run I'm chalking up to endurance and conditioning because it was not a pretty sight people, not at all.

As of noon today I'm on staycation!!  I couldn't be happier to have some time off.  I'm sure the week will go by in a blink.  I'm not sure how much I will be blogging as I intend this to be a week of not planning.  A whole week of doing whatever, whenever.  I think a change in routine like that is good for the soul.  Or at least it's good for me.

For now, I'll sign off like Roxie does.

Take good care. Rest up. Back peddle when necessary.

21 comments:

  1. I'll admit, I was wondering why on earth you would be cooking pea soup in your heat, lol! Dang, that is some fog...must have been a wet, wet run. And yes, it becomes all about endurance - but don't you feel like a true badass athlete, getting out in that to run?!?

    Nice job avoiding the skunk! You, POD...wonder who's next?

    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your staycation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running through pea soup....there are some things I am just NOT going to add to my bucket list.
    I am mired in migraine and nausea at this moment. My body isn't going to move much this morning, but I am sure glad you got it on.
    Excited to hear what you do on your stay-cation.
    Have Fun!!! Will miss you if you are unplugged, but it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thay sure does look like pea soup!

    Enjoy your staycation. Sometimes those are the most relaxing kind of vacations to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes - that looks gross to run in - way to push out the 5 1/2 miles (I would have gone back to bed!)

    Glad you didn't get sprayed - our cat got sprayed once and that smell lingered for months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pea soup! Wait, not that kind. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful post! I like the continuous thread from beginning to end. I hope that everything relaxes on your staycation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you ran though, that's great! Have an awesome stay-cation!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the mention. I have been on high alert ever since my casual run-in. Dog door is closed at night. Cat is safe. No signs of scorpions though something, think it was raccoons, dug up my garden that I put to replace the pond. I think those little skeevers were hunting for water. Sneaky bastards!
    Have fun on your STAYcation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I'm glad you were able to avoid getting skunked!

    Have a great staycation!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like running on the treadmill either!

    Outside every time, rain or shine...not sure what to do about the snow though :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are dedicated, that is for sure.

    I'm glad you and the local wildlife are still on speaking terms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you enjoy your staycation. I need one in the worst way. I hope you don't have too many more days like that one. What time do you run?

    ReplyDelete
  13. see? :) theres never pea soup in the weight room....

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Running in the morning by your lonesome on a humid day!! You are a ROCKSTAR and my HERO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omigosh, running into little critters on the road is a big fear of mine. I bet you didn't shriek like a baby. (like I would have) I'm a shrieker and now I am rethinking my run for tomorrow morning. Just thinking about the critter being a skunk makes me want to swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Still pea soup??
    Thanks for your comment today. I have been doing research on elevated CA125 and there are many reasons though none of them are good reasons. of course I'll keep everyone posted about it as well as any more animal run-ins. ACK!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heart you. :) I hope it's been a good Crack of Crack kinda day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Helen, there's a blog award for you over at my blog. I hope you don't mind participating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad the baby skunk minded his manners!

    I love pea soup fog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. great job getting out there!

    ReplyDelete