2. Laurie asked about the pictures taken during my long run last weekend. Yes, all the photos are with my iPhone. I carry it in a pouch that’s on my Fuel Belt, just in case I need to call for help or a ride home! Yes, I stop to take the photos and usually take a quick sip of water at the same time. It’s really OK to stop and take a drink of water when you’re running a long training run. In fact, in the sort of humidity I ran in, it’s probably advisable.
3. I have honestly never seen an anesthesia like the one used on Mr. Helen for his oral surgery. I kept asking him why they said he needed to have someone with him the rest of the day and boy did I find out. It literally took almost 18 hours and an overnight sleep before he was with it again.
4. I am a glass half empty sort of person. I want to be the glass half full person but every time I start to have a little faith in people, something happens – like my car accident last Thursday - that reinforces my belief that people are not inherently honest or good or nice. The good, nice people have made a choice to live that way. Just because I choose to be honest and good and nice doesn’t mean that others will. In fact, they probably won’t. By expecting the worst, I’m pretty much never surprised.
5. Have you ever seen a wonder diet advertised or had a friend who did something to lose weight that even while you’re thinking “that’s crazy!” the little devil on your left shoulder is suggesting that you try it?
6. I’m finding that the mindful eating thing is working with the wine too. It’s as if since I know I can have a glass of wine anytime I want, instead of trying to fit it into a calorie budget, I’m actually choosing not to have it.
7. The summer after Little Helen finished college, her childhood pet, a cat named Stripes, passed away. Stripes actually hadn’t done too well for several months prior and I distinctly remember telling Mr. Helen that I thought the cat was waiting for Little Helen to come back home. Ever since then (2001), we’ve been pet free by choice. I never knew that was so upsetting to people. I had such a spirited discussion about this with someone the other day I wondered if the person was jealous or really did think I was a bad human for not wanting pets right now. I have all sorts of empathy for child-free by choice people now.
8. Why have a public blog if you’re not going to allow comments? I don’t get it. I do completely understand monitoring comments and removing offensive material. I guess I just feel that if you’re writing just to write and don’t want comments, make your blog private.
9. Something else you don’t know about me is that I suffer from terrible motion sickness. I pretty much get sick in any form of transportation. Which is the
10. My favorite blog last week? Written by the Miz. Who needs no introduction. It was all about Self Objectification: judging ourselves based on appearance because we believe that is how others judge us. Something I did for way too many years. Menopause has set me free. Have I mentioned that being 50 rocks?