Monday, August 16, 2010

Mind over Matter

Got up this morning to run and it was pouring outside.  Went out to my good old treadmill and after about 2 minutes, it stopped and flashed me.  I tried turning it off and on but it kept flashing the stupid E11 error.  Dug the book out and found out that meant it needed a calibration sequence.  OK.  Did that.  Turned it on and after 2 minutes it flashed me.  Repeat this for 45 minutes and finally decide 1.  This thing needs professional help, and 2. You should have just run in the rain, damn it!

That was how my day started.  Welcome to Monday of the week before vacation.

Thank goodness I got a couple of really good runs in over the weekend, including a virtual run with Shelley at 5:45 am on Sunday (6:45 her time)!  We had emailed back and forth on Saturday and decided to go for it.  Lucky me, I was running in 62ish degrees.  Decided I'd better try to run fast as I knew poor Shelley had to slog it out in Texas heat and humidity.  Someday we're going to run together, right Shelley?

I came in the house and was feeling pretty cranky about not getting my run in.  But what could I do?  I definitely had a choice:  I could let this color my whole day or I could make up my mind that missing this run would not define me or my day and go on.

Mr. Helen, who works as a butcher and is in 40 degree temperatures for most of the day year 'round, when asked how he does that?  Isn't he cold? always says, "It's mind over matter.  If I don't mind, it doesn't matter." A lot of truth there, for the most part.  Sometimes it takes a fake a 'till you make it attitude to get through these bumps in the road.

The other aspect of this that struck me as I drove to work is that we really do need to be "mindful" in many areas of our life. 

As you faithful readers know, I worked my way into the great "I'm not cooking" experiment last week as I explained in Point 8 of last week's Tuesday Ten.  This actually lasted until just yesterday.  But by yesterday,  I was beginning to realize that at least for me this wasn't necessarily a good thing.  Because as the week went on, I found myself getting quite sloppy with mindful eating.  I found myself letting myself get too hungry and then reaching for the fastest thing, often potato chips or a slice of cheese.  Because truly, the things that I would have wanted to eat were not around.  No fresh fruit or veggies (other than salad mix), no nicely balanced meals of protein, veggies and a bit of carbs. 

I've never been very good at winging it or flying by the seat of my pants and this no cooking experiment reinforced that.  My planning tendencies have served me well and that includes planning meals.  Because the truth is, I don't believe that all food is created equal.  Or maybe what I want to say is that it is indeed possible to have too much of a good thing and not enough of some fun things and vice versa.  Personally, I need a piece of chocolate now and then, but I also need chicken, and green beans and pasta.  A diet consisting of any one thing is not good for me because boredom sets in and I begin to do things like get too hungry and eat potato chips and turkey pepperoni as my meal.

Or, as in this case, I didn't mind, but it did matter.  It mattered a lot because by yesterday I wasn't feeling so great. I also think I may see how much it mattered when I do my last weigh in for the summer on Wednesday. 

So the lesson I've learned over the last week is that while it's nice to have a break,  it pays off to pay attention.

12 comments:

  1. Well it may not have been a successful experiment for you, but if nothing else, you learned something. The greatest successes often come from learning from failure after failure. Case in point, I am in the middle of one of the greatest successes of my life, but I failed a lot before getting to this path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this is a little scary - did you write this post before you read mine? Talk about being on the same wavelength! Must have been that run that we did that put us in sync, right?

    I'm like you - if the good stuff is readily available, chances are, that's what I'll grab. But if its not, well...hello crackers and popcorn!

    P.S. It was fun to run "together" yesterday - and YES, we will run together in person one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please NEVER take running for granted. I only wish I could put on a pair of shoes and RUN! But I can not. So I just read about all those who can but chose not to. So happy you are not 1 of them. smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mind over matter thought... mine for the past few months has been 'mind over munching' and it's for sure helping me to keep going at an even pace.

    Hope your treadmill feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so fun that you and Shelley had a virtual run!

    You are right, even though its nice to take a break from planning food, when you do it and what you want is there, then it's so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mr. Helen's attitude!
    And, yeh, the virtual run..how did it go?
    Bummer about the treadmill, I could feel the frustration, I would have been the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer about the treadmill. Hope it's up and running fast. No pun intended :)

    I hear you about the food on hand...for me, planning and cooking ahead for the week are pretty essential. If healthy stuff isn't readily available, I'll make dumb bad choices in a hot second.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not agree with you more on the planning department. When I don't do a meal plan and complete grocery shop, I am at a complete loss, or worse, I see a recipe I want to make for dinner that night, stop by the store, spend $30+ bucks on ingredients and throwing shit into the cart, only to repeat that the next few nights.

    Hope you get some fruits and veggies in your house - stat! :D

    Okay, well if you and Shelley run, can I ride my bike?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "It's mind over matter. If I don't mind, it doesn't matter."

    I love this saying! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that treadmill would have irked me to no end! I wouldn't have hung with it that long - but then again, I was always looking for an excuse NOT to run.

    Love your new shoes - I need a new pair myself.

    Yep, I need to make decisions when they are easy - buy and have the good-for-me stuff available, or I take a nosedive into whatever is not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dad always preached about mind over matter. Like they say if you think you can or you think you can't you are right!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind?


    xo xo

    ReplyDelete